Chapter 52

Loki wasn't in our room when I got back and as much as I tried to not let that bother me, I was troubled. I couldn't think of anywhere else he would go but then again, perhaps he was already looking for clues about the cure for Frigga. He would be here tomorrow. I was certain.

Nope. Nothing. I woke up in our bed alone and there was no evidence that he had been in here all night. But I was sure there was an explanation for it. Perhaps he fell asleep in the library while looking, maybe he slept in another room because he needed some time to himself. Maybe he didn't sleep at all last night! But then, there was a little voice in the back of my head that whispered: maybe he spent the night with a.....companion because she could give him something I couldn't. That made me feel so guilty, that I couldn't give him everything he wanted so I decided right then, that I would never refuse his advances again, no matter how uncomfortable they made me. His happiness meant more to me than my own.

I opted to not tell Thor that Loki was missing. He didn't seem too concerned when we didn't show up together for breakfast. Besides, there was so much more occupying his mind. The day was spent trying to fix the shield generator that had been destroyed in the attack. It was the preliminary defence of the palace and without it, it didn't matter how much damage we repaired inside, it would be as useful as cardboard against fire. But as the day passed, there was still no sign of Loki. By lunch, the shields were still useless and Thor proclaimed that I had spent enough time helping him and that I should take the rest of the day off. I spent the better part of three hours searching all over the palace grounds for Loki but couldn't find him anywhere. Since that had made it clear that he didn't want to be around me, I sought out Jane. She was hanging out at the reflection of Yggdrasil just in awe of the spectacle.

"So I'm the seventh Avenger?" I caught her by surprise but she recovered quickly.

"Yeah."

"And what do they call me?"

"Eagle or Angel. I saw footage of you taking out a flying snake with a single spear."

"Eagle is more accurate and did that footage show how the explosion sent me flying out of control and crashing into Loki's speeder?"

"No but–"

"What I do is much harder than it looks."

"But I thought you would like 'Angel' better than 'Eagle'."

"I am no angel. As I have had to tell the people here multiple times."

"But...why?"

"You wouldn't understand."

"But I can try to."

"Listen–"

"Jane Foster!" There were guards approaching, "You need to come with us." I got in front of her.

"Where are you taking her?"

"That is none of your concern."

"I beg to differ, Thor has put her under my protection and I demand to know."

"I said it was none of your concern." The guard growled. I growled back but Jane stepped between us.

"Listen. I'll go. I do not want anyone else to get hurt because of me."

"She has given us permission. Now stand back."

"I still want to know where you're taking her!"

"To a secure location."

"WHERE!" I shouted.

"By order of the king, we cannot tell you."

"To hell with the king, I demand–"