CHAPTER FIFTEEN

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

★ ★ ★ ★

JUNE, 1942

I sat in the peachy pale colored sand with the blue ocean waves splashing in front of me. The bright afternoon sun was setting in the distance while the once baby blue sky was now a mix of colors that matched the sun. I admired the beauty in front of me as I waited patiently with my shoes off and my feet buried in the warm sand. No winds were in the air just calm breezes.

In the morning Emma told me that Enoch wanted to talk to me before supper started. Enoch wanted me to meet him at the beach, saying it was important. I was nervous and at the same time anxious to know what Enoch wanted to talk to me about. My palms were sweating and my hands were slightly shaking. To pass time I would draw in the sand with my finger which calmed my nerves and brought me joy.

Every couple minutes I would check around me to see if there was any sign of Enoch. But so far he hadn't came yet and as each minute passed I got more and more nervous. Just as I was about to get up and walk back to the house I heard a voice calling my name.

I frowned my eyebrows and turned towards the source of the voice. I turned to my right to see Enoch with his wavy dark hair combed to the side and his hands stuffed into his trousers. As Enoch approached me he kept looking up at me then at the ground as if he was trying to avoid eye contact.

I stood up in my spot with my shoes still in the sand. I started to dust off my dress from the sand then looked up towards Enoch with a blank look. One Enoch stood in front of me we didn't saw a word to each other. We stood in silence as Enoch looked out at the ocean avoiding my sad eyes.

"Why did you ask me to come here Enoch?" I questioned breaking the silence making Enoch turn his attention towards me licking his lips nervously then switched his attention down to the sand below his feet. "Enoch please just answer me. You have been ignoring me and I am confused to why"

"I don't like you" spoke Enoch in his Scottish accent making my breath get caught in my throat at his words.

"What?" I breathed out looking up at Enoch as he took a deep breath and looked me straight in the eyes.

"I don't like you Johanna" repeated Enoch making me shake my head.

"I don't understand"

"The kiss we shared was a mistake and I don't have feelings for you" said Enoch with no emotion in his voice as he stared down at me with a hard look making me almost break down in tears.

"Then why did you kiss me" I questioned taking a step back from Enoch while looking down at my hands while I think over the words were already said.