chapter ten

Geoff Wigington

"uh, hiya?" she says in the form of a question.

"hi." I respond without any sign of emotion.

"you know, just dropped something, it's all cool. all good." she says to me, clearly embarrassed.

"okay." I say, wondering why I even said anything in the first place.

"that was really good. what you were just doing." she says to me.

her choice of words had me cringing inside but that wasn't what mattered right now.

"you were listening to me?" I question.

she stops trying to wipe herself off and focused her gaze at me, "oh, I was just out here, reading my book," she says holding up a book I had never seen.

"yeah, okay." I say.

"well, yeah, and then you were playing so I was kind of listening, but either way, you are really talented." she says.

"thanks, I guess." I say.

"do you make a living off of that?" she asks me, completely forgetting about whatever she had dropped.

"used to." is all I say.

"oh, what do you mean by 'used to'?" she questions.

"doesn't really matter, I was in a band, but were taking a break right now." I tell her, curios as to why she cared so much.

"ah, okay. that's really cool that you were able to do what you love." she says.

"how do you know it's what I love?" I ask and her face turns a whole new shade of red.

"I- I'm sorry, I just, just assumed." she stutters out.

I let out a small laugh to try and lighten the conversation, "it's okay, I do love music, hopefully i'll be able to go back to it as my job."

"hopefully." she says in a voice of encouragement.

"well, yeah, night alice." I tell her.

I hear a a small voice shout back up, "goodnight," before I go into my apartment. and closed my door.

obviously I was aware that others could hear me, but I didn't think that anyone actually listened.

suddenly I felt uncomfortable, not just because of alice, but rather the thought of people hearing me play, and especially the part of them hearing me sing.

I loved it on a stage, but this? not so much.

I change out of my black jeans and a band tee into black sweatpants with a different band tee.

black isn't just a sad color. black holds a secret beauty behind the darkness. leaving everything hidden away rather than jumping out at everyone in the form of color.

I do have some colorful shirts for days that I'm feeling adventurous though.

can't be completely hidden away from the world.