Chapter 29 - The Battle for Bastogne

Start from the beginning

"They definitely did a number on you fellas-holy shit!" Someone commented once he came out and saw the jeeps back end was riddled with bullet holes.

However, the more shocking part was the blood. It's everywhere especially with the amount that had pooled and splattered in the back.

When a few medical staff moved to help Rhodes, the guy was still tensed up at the wheel and it took a moment for him to mentally return before his grip relaxed and allowed the medics to direct him out of his seat. They brought everyone inside and Rhodes was treated for shock.

And for Jack's velocity wound he had received it wasn't life threatening thankfully and after the Kraut's round was removed with painful curses. They shot Jack with a dosage of morphine and bandaged his leg before he was cleared for light duty.

When it came time for Jack to give the incident report that the staff needed to file, he recounted the chase with the two 109s and that the two P-51s that happened along saved their lives. More importantly, he simply stated he was doing his job in keeping the two youngsters alive while under fire by returning it with the fifty.

After that, they left him alone giving him the chance to check in on Rhodes and Morgan. And much to the relief of Jack and his conscience, both of them were okay.

Especially for Morgan, they had an iv stuck in his arm with a blood bag suspended above him and the Chief surgeon had done his magic on the hit artery.

**
December 25th 1944; Christmas morning 2:45 am

A few days rolled along before Jack discovered that the two fighters who attacked them were on a standby patrol route. This was found out after a transmission was intercepted to resume normal duty after the defiant answer the Germans were given.

After his two-day recovery at the field hospital, Jack had arrived back at his post and gathered some of the men around who were awake and couldn't sleep at this hour.

He proceeded to recount his exchange between himself and the General and the laughter that followed was desperately needed for everyone.

"NUTS!" Was repeated amongst the troops and Jack himself could see the will to fight returning to their eyes from the bolstered morale in dawn's early light.

It was a great feeling that washed over Jack, he was able to raise his men's spirits and bring confidence back into them.

The merriment was short and before long after a few minutes had passed and the sun had risen above the horizon. Did mulitpe explosions that rolled like thunder caught everyones attention. It even jolted those who were asleep wide awake.

Everyone almost jumped out of their skin when they realized just exactly what it was and made a beeline for their fighting postions.

"No one is allowed to leave their holes unless told other wise! Hug the dirt and pray that your ass doesn't become mince meat!" Someone had ordered yet no one needed to be told once hte first intense whistle came screeching down overhead.

The shuddering impact that followed shook Jack to his soul as impact after impact of ordiance came screaming down on the defenders of Bastonge.

Each impact sent shrapnel and even shards of wood from splintered trees at break neck speed, making it a kill zone for anyone that tried to get up.

Jack himself couldn't do anything but lie where he had dove into. The feeling that he got and the absolute powerlessness of his situation terrified him.

Because when it comes down to it, you hold your life and control it when fighting a physical enemy. However artillery bombardments are completely different, a soldier can't do or control his fate you can only hope to God that the shell doesn't find you and if it does. Better hope it's a swift and painless death, no one wants to be crippled or even worse.