Chapter 23 - Lurking danger

20:10, Cologne Germany:

"Herr, the last report has just arrived, would you like them read?" An intelligence officer asked while he knocked and stepped into Karl's dimly lit office room.

The man stood there for a moment as he watched the general jolt awake before straightening himself out and sitting up in his chair. And from what the I.O. could tell, Karl must've just dozed off before he had disturbed him.

He felt a little bad about it, Karl couldn't get any sleep for the past day and a half from all the stress that'd slowly build up or melt away with each changing situation.

His sleep deprivation has caused him to look like he was completely hungover even though he wasn't, and his over all composure was beginning to fade away from the 26 hours that had kept him on edge.

"Ja, go ahead please." Karl yawned as he started to rub at his tired eyes.

"Jawohl Herr, this is what had happened during the last time I reported in to you." The man said before clearing his throat and held the paper up to the light so he could read it.

"To the East, our Volksgrenadier with an element from the 2nd Panzerdivison made a significant push and had successfully captured the bridge that was the only one suitable enough for tanks..." He said, summarizing part of the large report.

"However," He continued which brought Karl's attention back to him "A counter attack at Moot by the enemy's paratroopers and their Coldstream Guard forced us back to our lines just recently."

"That's quite unfortunate... Do see to it that we get that bridge back then, please continue." Karl said before he placed his hands on his face, trying his best to stay awake.

Nodding a little, he continued "We've also retaken Im Thal and Legewald with the 10th Panzergrenadier and support from the 2nd." The I.O. concluded.

"For the most part Herr, your plan to cut off the enemy paratroopers from their main forces behind them is going to be successful, however we're going to need a heavier hitting force to drive that wedge." The man said as he placed the written report in Karl's outstretched hand.

Karl briefly reread everything to make sure he didn't space out on anything from the report in and heard concern entering the younger man's voice this time around, "Herr, mind me asking but when's the last time you've slept?"

"I'm okay Nero, I think that I'll actually be falling asleep this time around... Also," Karl said as he paused for a moment to think about what he was going to say.

"The time has come Nero, bring the paratroopers forward, they're going to be leading the next assault to drive that wedge between the enemy and their main body of troops this time around." Karl said as he placed the piece of paper down on his desk and slowly stood up.

"Have them ready with and whenever the next push is going to commence." Karl added before Nero saluted and turned away to head on out, the young officer knew that things were going to change.

The general was calling in his elite troops to drive that wedge, and the next attack isn't scheduled for another five hours so this'll give the battalion in reserve a chance to distribute, and send a company forward to have them prepare for what's to come.

**

15 minutes later;

The II Fallschirmkorps, 3rd Fallschirmjägerdivision, 5th Fallschirmjäger Regiment, 1st Battalion

1st Battalion encampment, outside of Arnhem.

The entire battalion, all 600 men have been assembled and were at attention, the battalion was formed in lines with companies in columns and platoons in line.