Chapter 19 - Friendly fire

It was a teary goodbye for James and his wife, it took a lot of convincing and promising to Sarah before she'd finally relented. With that in mind, James had promised to come back home safe and alive to her and the baby that's on the way.

It was the last time Jack had seen James for a few months before he enlisted himself in pursuit of his older brother to fight side by side with him.

*

Arnhem, 1944

"The order just came down from high command, commence your attack! Take this city back and crush all resistance that you meet and if the civilians take up arms, then you know what to do!" Pyritz yelled out as he spun around from the radioman that had relayed the orders to him.

Ragnarök was already lined up at the bridge and ready as Marcus wanted to make sure his tank was in front of the charge in order to protect the grunts outside.

He planned to use his tank as a mobile shield to protect the infantry with when they come under small arms fire. It was a standard combined arms tactic and it tends to work quite exceptionally well with little to no casualties in most cases.

"Okay Frost, bring us into the city and keep in mind we're spear heading this assault." Marcus said as he sat down in his commanders seat while he secured the hatch in the commander's cupola.

"Jawohl Herr Hauptmann, I'll keep our horse at pace mit unsere Infantrie." Torsten replied while he began to ease the tank forward causing the engines to rev up and grow louder.

Behind Ragnarök and the four accompanying Panzers was the first platoon of the 15th P.G. lining up to take their positions behind lead tanks. Then behind the forty five man strong platoon is the next squad of Panzers and so forth.

"Kittel you're taking command of squads two through seven, I'll obviously be taking squad one, and eight through nine with me. Take care to remember, follow the tanks into battle and stick close to die Oberfeldwebel!" Rauscher commanded as the platoon split up to gather around their respective commanders.

More and more tank engines were being revved up from behind before everyone, including the infantry began their advance into Arnhem.

Once the advance into Arnhem was ordered, similar instructions were sent to the remaining 9th Panzer division all across the new front that was created at the border of the Netherlands and Germany.

The counter attack by Generalmajor Karl Kriesser's 9th Panzer division is in full swing as both armor and infantry regiments are surging forth into the Netherlands.

"Yes, sir! I'll relay the news to the Captain at once," Kepler answered over his radio before he twisted his upper body at the hips to face Marcus.

"Herr, orders were just updated, they want the 1st Asgard to push through the city and set up a defensive position to prevent any and all enemy reinforcements coming our way to Arnhem." He said as he watched Marcus straighten up in his seat.

"Understood Kepler, update the Company and have them follow after us. Also do update the infantry so they know what the hell's going on here." Marcus had ordered as he adjusted his hat to fit more snugly on his head.

Once Kepler began transmitting his message out to the Company, he turned the knobs that was on the radio to change frequencies for the infantry radios. Then he proceeded from there to fill them in with the order adjustments as Torsten increased speed of the Tiger.

"Everyone get off the road and let our tanks through!" Rauscher had ordered his men and everyone was hurrying to get out of the way of their departing armor support.