Chapter 8 - Carentan

Bavaria Germany, 1 week ago

March 30th 1944

Outside of the Kriesser's home, Blitz the family's labrador and Karl's young song Adalbert (Albert) run freely in the backyard in a game of keep away with the stick that to young dog had found. All under the watchful eyes of their parents who are sitting in the soft gross and enjoying the warm sunlight that's shining on them.

The scars that Karl has hidden underneath his loosely worn civilian attire is still fresh in his mind, and they always will be too. Never to be forgotten, never to go away. Especially since he had nearly died back in Italy were his life flashed before his eyes. That terrifying feeling will always be with him, that feeling that he came close to death.

"Karl?... Karl!" Klaudia said a little louder the second time, and Karl immediately snapped out of his distant gaze.

"Ach tut mir lied mein liebe... My... My mind isn't really here at the moment." Karl said before he sighed and shifted his eyes over to his beautiful wife that sat next to him with his arm around her.

There's been a lovely breeze that's been traveling across the open field and blowing into their back yard, and against them.

The breeze was refreshing, especially since it's quite humid outside and the air has that heavy feel to it.

"Karl, if there's something, anything really that's bothering you then please don't bottle it up and shove it away... It'll only hurt you an make you feel worse, so please hun talk to me even though I might not understand it... I could at least be here to listen and comfort you." Klaudia pleaded with him, she knew he was trying to forget what happened but the physiological effects have changed him.

Ever since he returned for his medical leave back in 1943 after his time in Italy, there was a drastic change in his mood and overall being that Klaudia picked up on immediately.

She laid her head on his shoulder and wrapped her arms around him as she held onto him tightly, "I'm just worried about you Karl, you haven't been the same since you came home to me." She said, trying her best to keep herself together.

Karl softly smiled and leaned his head down a little to give the top of her head a gentle kiss, he then raised his arm a little bit and held onto her with a firmer embrace.

He knew she only wanted the best for him and help understand what he saw and went through, but it's a hard touchy subject. After all it's hard talking about having to perform a mercy shot on a young adult no more than 18 years old with his guts spilling all over the deck of the ship that got him out of Italy during the RAF air raid.

That boy is his nightmare, he can't forget the face of that lad that pleaded for Karl to end his suffering.

"I know dear, I want to tell you but it's hard and for now... I'd like to try and not remember." He said as he brought his other arm around to give her a hug and rested his chin on top of her head.

After a few minutes of silence have passed in their embrace as they watched Blitz and Adalbert run around, Klaudia spoke up.

"I'd like to go to the creek and cool down a little, does that sound good to you?" She said in a soft tone and Karl lifted his head up and looked down at her as she rested her head against his shoulder still.

"That sounds lovely, it'll give us something to do too. I was starting to get a bit too hot just sitting here." Karl said as he smiled and it grew wider when he saw Klaudia was feeling happier too.

"Yeah, I'll go grab the towels and you can get the boys ready to go." She said as her mood improved, she then disentangled herself from him and got up to retreat into the house.