3: The Vela Charm

Start from the beginning

"Oh my God," I said, shaking my head as Bruce took the seat opposite mine. "Don't ever do that again."

"Do what?" he asked, eyebrows raised.

"Scare me," I replied sharply and he simply grinned.

"Scare you?" Bruce echoed. "I didn't know it was so easy to scare a tough cookie like you."

"Shut up," I said, rolling my eyes before I dragged a hand back through my hair to move any stray strands of hair out of my face. "This assignment is killing me."

"May I?" he asked, holding out his hand in the direction of the paper that sat before me, a little wrinkled. When I nodded tiredly he picked up the papers and for a few minutes he was silent, surveying the question as well as what I had written. I took these few minutes of silence between us to destress—or at least I tried to with my eyes closed when I thought about my plans with Riley for the weekend. I was going to take him bowling for the very first time and then we'd go rent a movie which we'd watch as we ate our dinner.

"You got it all wrong," Bruce said, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Huh?" I said, blinking as I opened my eyes.

"You answered the question wrong," he explained.

"Yes, I figured that out, then got very miffed at myself and gave up."

"Oh, come on," he said tilting his head with his eyebrows raised, "It's not that hard."

"Yes, because you're a businessman already," I pointed out.

"An accountant," he corrected, an amused smile taking over his lips as his eyes trained on my movements.

"Same thing," I brushed off, waving my hand in the air before looking back to him to only see him still looking at me with that amused grin, his chocolate brown eyes dancing with mirth. "Is there something you find particularly funny about my situation, mister?" I asked hotly and his grin only grew wider.

He shook his head before he said, "I can help you out if you want."

I shifted in my seat, my heart picking up suddenly. "Where's Riley?" I questioned him even though I was perfectly aware of the answer. Riley knew this place in and out like I did and if he wasn't loitering in the back kitchen then he went up to Noah's office to play games that I would certainly scold him about...as well as leaving me alone with Bruce.

"Noah came to our table and I told Riley that I was going to come and talk to you because you seemed like you had a thing or two on your mind," he replied, his voice gravy smooth as always and a smirk found its way to his lips.

"A thing or two is one way to say it."

"So?" he promoted.

"So what?" I asked, pretending to be oblivious to his previous offer and ordered my heart to stop beating like it had just run a marathon but my mind and heart were currently at two different places and one was adamantly not listening to the other.

He chuckled knowing that I knew exactly what he was referring to. "So," he started, "do you want some help?"

I wanted to say no, to refuse his offer, so that he would go away and his presence wouldn't bother me anymore and I could actually concentrate but I needed the help. It was Friday and I needed to finish this homework so I could spend the rest of the weekend with my little boy.

"Yes," I replied, "I'd like that."

"Good," he said and for a few seconds we just sat there, looking at each other. My heart still kept beating, harder and faster and I held my breath, waiting for the moment that would break the tensed silence that sought refuge between us.