Chapter 9 - The Wink

I slid down into the brown, faux leather chair and put my head back. I looked at the little black dots on the white ceiling, wondering exactly how they made those all over the school.

I watched as Mrs Corall wobbled to her spinning chair behind her desk. She struggled to fit her thighs between the arm rests when she sat down.  She leaned her nonexistent elbows onto her desk and looked at me, "what brings you here today, Callie?" Mrs Corall politely asked.

Mrs Corall and I are have been pretty close since freshman year.  I went through a lot of family issues and since I had recently moved here I had no friends nor was I truly looking for any.  I felt comfortable telling Mrs Corall personal stuff, but for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to tell her about this.  The poor lady had been through so much, from breast cancer to losing her husband, I just think that a silly high school crush is going to annoy her and she'll send me away.

"I'm getting the feeling that you don't want to tell me. Which is fine, you know, I don't wanna hear it anyways.." she trailed off looking at me as if she truly didn't care. Which of course I knew wasn't true it's just what she does when I don't feel like talking.

I slumped down into my chair covered my face and mumbled "boys.." I immediately felt my face turn red and I was embarrassed that some boy had me this fired up. I felt a very light hand fall on my forearm as I uncovered my face I saw that Mrs. Corall had gotten up and was standing directly in front of me. She had moved my hands away from my face and she was staring at me with a curious face, and I knew she wanted me to explain. I sat up a little and sighed, as I told her the story of the last couple days she never laughed or judged me just stood there and listened to me very intensely as if she was analyzing my every word.
As I was finishing my story I watched as Mrs Corall went back to sit in her chair, I noticed that a lot actually, she never really could stand up for very long. She sat down and looked at me for what felt like a million years before she finally said, "Sounds to me like Travis may like you back but considering he doesn't like to get into a serious relationship he's scared he will hurt you" I am pretty sure I saw her wink at me which was pretty unusual for her.
"I really doubt it, you should see the way he treats me since I said something last night, it's like I kicked him in the no no spot!" I honestly couldn't believe I just called it the no no spot, what was I, 5?
I noticed Mrs Corall stifled a laugh as she responded "Callie, you don't have to believe me but I know how he feels.." she winked again and this time I was sure of it. I started to wonder why she was saying it like that and why she was winking.
I sat there thinking for what felt like hours before I finally gave up and said "I should really get back to class" I grabbed my backpack and slung it over my shoulder. As I was walking out the door I turned around and waved goodbye and she said "Don't forget I know he likes you" and I swear on everything she winked again.
The only thought running through my head right now is "what.the.hell.."