why do you do this to me?

My sister, Allura, decided to go to the ocean with me today. I guess I have needed some fresh air. Keith's been on my mind more than usual, lately. The way he gives me his signature sad, puppy dog eyes makes my chest hurt. 

          Before I left, Allura said she needed to get something, so I went off without her. By the time I got there, I saw one of my old friends, and decided to catch up with her. 

           "Lance? Who's that?" I heard my sister's voice from behind me.  I turned around to see her, and ended up seeing Keith as well. 
           "Allura.. Why is Keith here?" I gave her a nervous look, she didn't know about my feelings for the Galra boy. 

           "You two have been so distant, lately. I really wish you would actually talk to each other, more," she returned my nervous look with a "did I do something wrong?" look. 
           "I'm really sorry, you two. If you want, I can leave," Keith spoke, with a hurt look. 

           "No, no. Don't worry about it," I raised my hand to show him I didn't want him to leave. 

           I walked around the castle halls, gently touching the paintings of my ancestors that were hung not too high on the walls. 
           "Lance? Why don't you play with me anymore?" I heard Keith's innocent, small voice behind me. 

           "I... I need to go," I started walking away from him. 

           "Please don't go.. I need to talk to you," I could hear his voice starting to break, as if he was going to cry. 

           "Just leave me alone, Keith," I said coldly, I have to stay away from him. The closer I get the more danger I'll be in. 
           I walked away, hearing him fall to the ground and cry behind me. 

          Remembering that, I think in that moment I was hurting myself more than I hurt him. 

          "Lance?" You there?" Allura sarcastically asked, waving her hand in front of my face. 

          "Oh, uhm, yeah. Sorry," I mumbled, looking at the expressionless Keith.  

           I turned around to look at my friend I was talking to, but she was gone for some reason. 

          "Well, you two are going to be together all night  tonight," Allura rolled her eyes. 
          "What? How come?" I felt my stomach become a knot. I looked over and I'm pretty sure Keith had the same reaction, the way his eyes had a nervous glint in them. 
          "There's going to be a ball tonight, with all the other suitors for me and you. Dad thought it would be best to meet the parents of them tonight, and wanted me to come with," My sister explained. 

          "And why am I not going? Especially, why do I have to stay with him!?"I pointed to Keith. 
          "Mom and dad have noticed you two split. Even I have, you two should hang out together more like you used to, it was really cute," She blushed, looking at Keith. I felt like I was going to vomit, not because of Keith, but because I knew I can't be around  Keith without feeling all lovey-dovey. 

          Whatever happens tonight, I'm really just hoping that it turns out well. 

          "Coran? Why was Keith being so weird, today?" I looked up at him. 
          "Well, everyone has a time to go, and last night... It was Keith's mothers' time," Coran looked down at me with sad eyes. 
          "What do you mean?" I curiously pondered. 
          "Lance, Keith's mother.. Keith's mother passed away last night," He held me tightly. 

          Was that why he was so upset? Did I really hurt him when he was at his worst? 
          "Oh, Coran, I'm a terrible person," I whimpered. 

          "No, no. I'm sure what you said was a mere accident," He reassured me.

         "How do you know what happened?" I lifted an eyebrow. 

         "Don't worry, about it. Now, let's keeping reading our story, shall we?" .