you're so beautiful, but so far

You were always so lovely, kind, and so beautiful. Oh, but, I knew better than anyone else how distant we would be. As we grew older, I knew I wasn't able to be closer to you, so we had grown further and further, and I had fallen more deeply in love. 

          "Dad! I want to marry Lance!" I exclaimed.
          "Haha, oh Keith. You know you can't marry boys, right?" My father looked at me with a warm smile on his face. 

          "What? How come?" I looked up at him with one of my eyebrows raised. 

          "Well, first of all, it's weird. Boys should only marry girls, and you'll be marrying Princess Allura! Any little boy your age would do anything to even meet her!" My dad attempted to cheer me up after seeing my disappointed face. 

        Even then I knew I loved you. Your tanned, smooth skin, your crystal blue eyes and the way your eyes would squint whenever you laughed, and your lips, the way the would curl up whenever you were joyful. We used to be so close, but then you started to drift away, as if you knew my feelings for you. 

          "Hi, Lance!" I said, running up to your beautiful, but sad face. 

          "Oh... Hey, Keith," you said, looking at your hands, pulling down your shirt nervously. 
          "Is something wrong?" I looked deeply into your eyes, but you didn't look back. 
          "I think that.. I want to play alone today. My sister is in the other room, though. You'd much rather play with her," You turned around and started heading towards your room. 

          "Wait! You're so much more fun, though!" I confusingly tugged at your shirt, stopping you. 
You gave me a small, sad smile and removed my hand from your silky shirt. I sadly watched you walk, taking small, quick steps. Walking further, and further away from me. 

         That was the first time you decided to avoid me. It started to be more consistent from then. I knew you thought I wouldn't notice, but I did. Yes, it did hurt me, but I could never let you know that. 

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

         Today, you ate breakfast with me. You didn't even look at me. 

         I tugged on the purple fur on my ears. I kept on looking over at you, wondering if you would look back, or when you'd finish eating the green goop you seemed to favor over the Earth food the staff would bring for you after vacations. I know you knew I was looking at you, you kept on blushing out of embarassment. Don't worry, you're beautiful. I just wish you would talk to me more. About you, about your studies, and how you're doing. I know you're sensitive, you just don't like to admit it. It's alright though, because I love you. 

          I decided to get ready today. For, we'll be going to the ocean. You and Allura decided to go, but Allura invited me after breakfast when I entered her room to visit her. You don't know I'm going yet, but I hope it's a lovely surprise rather than an annoying shock. 

          "Keith!? Are you done in there?" Allura knocked on the door to my room that I stay in the castle. 
         "Yeah, just give me a minute," I looked at my mirror one more time, just to check if I was suitable for you, then I walked out to meet your sister. 
         "Lance is already there, he said he wanted to find all the good shells before us," she giggled. I knew she liked me, and I felt bad because I didn't like her, but you, her brother. If you turned out to have a crush on a sibling I never had, I'd be pretty upset, too. 

          Once we got there, I saw you talking to some strange girl. A blush appeared on your face, and Allura tried talking to me, but I tuned her out. Oh, how you hurt me, you beautiful boy.