"Morning, Mum." Casey greeted Karen and kissed her cheek.

I sunk back in my seat and scrolled through my phone. It was when I opened up my email that I stood up from the seat so frantically that the stool feel to the floor with a loud thud.

"UPDATE ON MY APPLICATION!" I shouted at the top of my lungs and grabbed the laptop that was sitting at the corner of the breakfast bar. I whacked the lid open, and I was surprised that it didn't break off.

Quickly logging into my account, I saw a banner that said something along the lines of a change in one or more of my choices. I didn't read it fully, because I had quickly changed pressed the 'offers' tab on the webpage.

Karen, Dad and Casey all gathered around the laptop and watched as I clicked on my firm university choice: Oxford.

Dear Mr Hopper,

In succession to the interview and the Biomedical Admissions Test (BMAT), we are pleased to offer you a place on the following undergraduate course:
BA (Hons) Biomedical Sciences
Please let us know within a 21 day period of your final declaration of this offer. This will enable us to offer any other places which are declined to other applicants.

Acceptant of this offer means you'll receive a letter from one or more of your chosen colleges as well as a student handbook, a course information sheet and a brochure of the university's code of conduct.

Yours Sincerely,
Dr Allen Marshall
Chairman

Grinning, I hovered my mouse over the 'accept this offer' button, I didn't even need to think about it, I mean, Oxford was my firm choice; it's ranked number one for pharmacology so I knew that this was definitely the offer I was going to go with. After the awkward interview I had to sit with, and the eighteen drafts of my personal statement I had to persevere through, I deserved this.

I was about to click the button when my finger all of a sudden hesitated...

Ben.

"Flynn, what are you waiting for?" Dad raised his brow at me.

"I need to visit Ben first."

Dad rolled his eyes at this, clearly, he didn't want anything or anyone to get in the way of my success. He was ecstatic upon hearing I wanted to start university again, so I figured as much. I shut the lid of the laptop and padded up the stairs and started getting ready. I felt in a pretty good mood, my hair was perfect, my body didn't stink of sweat despite the fact I haven't showered yet, and my face was glowing - that latter one might've just been because I sneakily used one of Karen's super expensive night creams.

Casey walked in just as I placed my hoodie over myself. She stood idly by the doorway for a few moments in complete silence before she welcomed herself in, shut the door behind her and jumped onto my unmade bed.

After a few more silent moments, I turned my whole body towards her and cocked a brow. "What do you want?"

She just shrugged, and her sharp eyes travelled around the room before focusing back on me, then she sighed and sat up on the bed and crossed her legs. "Could you just please make amends with my mum."

I frowned and shook my head to myself and then turned around again to fold my clothes up. Make amends? Why should I make amends? Not only did she guilt trip Ben into spending time with me, she whisked away my dad just as soon as my mother left us, and left no room for my father and I to breathe.