Chapter Twenty-Four - Jaxon

A.N:// Scenes of death, violence and war ahead. 

"Are you ready?" Zayden asked quietly. He had his assault rifle ready... Waiting... He nodded in Zayden's direction and heard the quiet agreements from Jennifer and another teammate called David.  

"Let's go." Zayden led the way. Jaxon was in the rear of the group and his job was to keep his eyes peeled from all sides and back. Zayden led them down the village, through alleyways and deserted buildings. This brought Jaxon back to training where he had done this before.

"Gunfire ahead." Zayden whispered. The team crouched down, under a broken window. Zayden and David stayed there while Jennifer and Jaxon moved to the doorframe where there was no longer a door. The floors and walls were dust covered so they blended in with their dusty camouflage uniforms. They waited... And waited. They heard footsteps.

"Now." Zayden hissed. Jaxon peered around his shelter and used the scope to look around. He saw a foot sticking out around a corner of the neighbouring building. Jaxon shot at the foot as his teammates also shot targets. The man Jaxon had aimed at howled as blood spurted out of his shoe and he collapsed to the floor where Jaxon shot again, aiming exactly at the temple. It struck and his howls were no more.

"Go, go!" Zayden gestured at Jennifer and Jaxon. Jennifer went first, bent over as they both ran to the next building. Jaxon heard footsteps and quickly looked behind him. It was David and Zayden was right behind him,scanning the streets.

Jaxon followed Jennifer through the broken door and they both fell against the wall. Jaxon stayed there, on his feet but crouched down underneath the window. A body lay some feet away, laid on a pool of blood. David and Zayden followed through and went to the window facing out on the main street. Jennifer gasped in horror. There was a convoy out there. Jaxon could see that. Without even really thinking about it, he pulled Jennifer down onto the floor. They stayed as still as they could to wait for the convoy to pass. Jaxon did not dare even look up. However he heard a voice call out something and then a clinking of metal.

"SHIT! STUN!" Zayden shouted out but it was too late to move before the stun grenade set off. The most that Jaxon could have done was get to his hands and knees as lights flashed before his eyes. He felt a foot in his back, pushing him down on the dusty ground. A rough hand pushed him around so he was on his back. The man said something in a foreign language and then grabbed the gun out of his hand while he was still trying to come round from the stun. He heard gunshots but didn't have time to look around before the man above slammed the butt of his gun into his temple, knocking him out.

*********

Arielle,

I'm so sorry, baby. I wanted to be yours for life and I didn't realise that life could be so short. During that short period of time where you were mine, I didn't realise that life could get any better than that. You made me feel alive... Gave me something that no other person or thing has ever given me. A sense of true love and hope. You always kept me going during those long periods of hardships and you were my first and last thought in life, every night. I will dream of you forever, dream of a world where we are together again. And I will never regret that first eye contact that we made across the bar because it led to a million beautiful memories. Keep making those memories Arielle, keep making your life the best it could have ever been.You've made me so happy, thank you so much for everything. Look after our baby and be happy Arielle. Live your life for me. Goodbye princess.

Eternally yours,

Jaxon xxxxxx

To my son,

I don't know you and wish I could have got the chance to get to know you. One thing I do know is that your mother produced a boy. My son. Make me proud son. And never forget that I loved you, even though I never got to know you. I'm your father, an half English, half American military soldier who worked hard to serve both my countries, to protect the people I loved. I loved my job but the thing is.... I never got to spend enough time with the people I truly loved. As a result, I died from my job and missed out on meeting you. The point of this letter is to let you know that your father loved you and to remember always of the ones who love you because you don't know how long life will be. Cherish your mother, cherish your family. Because they'll always be there. Always. I'll always be with you, even if you can't see or hear me. I'll always be in your heart.

Dad xxx

Dad,

It's over. They have me trapped. I get a moment to say goodbye though. Thoughtful I know. I love you Dad. I'm so sorry that I didn't get to say it enough, sorry that I might not have lived up to your expectations as much. But thank you for everything you did for me, for Neil. I know I'm dead but please... Love Arielle like your own daughter. She will always be part of our family even when she moves on. Take care of my son. Thank you for being the best father, the best example a boy could have had.

Jaxon xxxx

Zac,

It's over, buddy. They have me trapped. I won't live the night. I've been lucky though. They gave me enough time to say goodbye. I think it's a cruel joke for them but it counts as luck for me. I loved Arielle. I loved her with all my heart. And I know you man. I know you loved her too. Thank you for letting her be mine. I know that was hard on you. The thing is...I'm gone now. I want her to be happy. I don't want her to be alone. Look after her, Zac. Please, my brother. It will give me peace of mind if you can do that for me. Look after my son, treat him as well as you would your own. I love you, brother. Thank you for everything you ever did, for welcoming me into a strange country with strange people that I did not know. Thank you for being my brother.

Jaxon

"We can't let you live you know." Jaxon looked up into the eyes of the tanned man standing above him.

"I'm well aware." Beside him was Jennifer and she was sobbing. He wondered if she was thinking of her family like he was. He had five letters in his pocket. Four for a member of his family and one from Arielle, her last letter to him declaring the fact that her five month pregnancy scan revealed a boy. A son. He hadn't had time to write a reply back. This was his reply.

"Any final words?" The man asked. He felt the barrel of a gun at the back of his head. Jaxon smiled at the man.

"Fuck you."