Chapter Twenty-One - Zac

//A.N: :O this chapter. 

Zac lay sprawled out on the couch. His flight wasn't until tomorrow night, it had been pushed back for some reason. He had called his boss who had said it was fine as long as he was back by the weekend. As a result he was watching television. He could hear Cheryl in the kitchen. Her phone rang and he heard her pick it up and talk but he tuned it out as best as he could. Cheryl and Kirsten had taken it upon themselves to deal with Jaxon's wish, to fix Arielle up with a suitable place to live. Zac had been told about it too but he couldn't do much about it what with him leaving tomorrow.

"You won't believe what!" Cheryl walked into the sitting room. Zac continued to watch the television.

"What?"

"Arielle's pregnant!"

"SHE'S WHAT?" Zac almost fell off the couch, finally paying attention to Cheryl. Cheryl frowned in thought.

"She did a pregnancy test because she was late for her period. She's pregnant! Isn't that sweet!"

"Not really, Cheryl, no." Cheryl sighed, putting her hands on her hips.

"Well that's not going to be the response you tell her is it?"

"Cheryl, I'm tired of this. I'm tired of pretending that I'm okay with this. I don't want to know anymore. I have to tell her..." Cheryl sat down on the couch next to Zac and pressed mute on the television controller.

"Zac, you can't. She's married now. And pregnant with his baby. I get that you love her. That's why we did this, isn't it? Us pretending we were in love to get them off our backs? If you declare your love to her, then she'll distance herself. So maybe it's better if you distance yourself now and find someone else."

"I can't." Zac ran a hand through his hair. The very thought of being with someone else was not ideal. He loved Arielle and it broke his heart that she was not in love with him too.

"You might have to...Because from what I can see... she's ready to move on with her life so it's only fair you do the same." Cheryl got up to leave.

"Where did they go for their honeymoon?"

"Disneyworld." Cheryl left Zac alone with his thoughts.

*************

"Are you sure you want to do this, Zachary?" Zac closed his eyes and nodded.

"I'm sure."

"Welcome to The Infantry, son." Colonel Michaels said, standing up. Zac shook the Colonel's hand.