Chapter Fourteen

Sorry that this chapter is short, but I simply have not had time to truly sit down and write as much as I would enjoy. But, with that being said, I do hope you enjoy the chapter loves!

xoxo Jane

__________

            "You're..." I chocked out, the air leaving me in a single moment. "It's far tighter than I... antici..." taking a breath, I opened my eyes as I held onto the bed. "PATED!"

             Regina stood behind me, her fingers making quick work of the strings of the corset that must lay underneath the fabric of my wedding gown. I truly never understood the need for the dreadful things... especially once Lord Vedil had shown how it changed the figure of a woman. Was the way that a woman was born not good enough? Do women in his society truly believe they must alter themselves in painful and drastic ways... simply to catch a potential lovers eye?

           "Stop breathing so much, Darling." Mother calmly stated as she sat on the couch, sipping her morning tea as the twins ran around the room. I wished to roll my eyes, but I feared if I opened them again, they would simply pop out of my head. "It will all be over soon. We must make sure the dress fits properly for the wedding."

           "Why must I wear something so... terrible?" I cried out as Regina finished tying the corset, keeping the air from filling me with each breath. I felt slightly light headed, my ribs bending to the point where they felt as if they would snap, and the laughter of my young siblings were not helping my irritated state. "This cannot be practical!" I stated, raising up, trying to move into a comfortable standing position.

            How could I sit or drink while wearing this dreadful thing!? And how is it possible that I had worn these for cycles and never truly understood the horror and pain of these damned things?!

             Turning around, I looked at Regina and my Mother, instantly knowing how simply ridiculous I must look. Regina bit back a smile and a giggle once she saw me, going to sit down with Mother. They simply lay back and watch as my siblings ran around the couches and balcony.

               Shaking my head, I walked over to the large mirror, stepping up for the seamstress to help place on the dress.

               In the mirror stood a young woman, her body slightly tan, long curls falling down her back and on her sides, large eyes that seemed like that of glass, and a sadness that showed on her lips. How could this shell of a woman be... me? My skin had dulled in color, dark circles lay under my eyes, and I had become thin from not eating the last several days.

             It had been three days in total since Skyrin and I had last spoken. He never stood in the same room as I, always leaving as I walked in, or simply never showed. At night the bed was cold, the fire always burning, the curtains of the balcony slightly open, allowing his to walk in.

             But he never had. Each moment he looked at me, the very few moments, I could see nothing but heartbreak and sorrow. I feared that my body was starting to show outwardly how my heart felt. There was hardly any rest, my days and nights filled with work or pointless wandering, the only time food or drink passed my lips was when it was forced.

             Raising up to look at the gown that covered my body, I could see the lace that flowed down my body. My waist was smaller, too small to be healthy, the silk fabric underneath pleated and flowing down off my hips, fanning down past the calf. My feet were covered, the train of the dress easily going several feet, the lace covering each part of the silk.

           My arms and shoulders were covered in only the lace, fanning down into long sleeves that flowed around me. I could see my skin between the beautiful, hand made roses and lilies in the pattern. Yet, as beautiful and elegant as the dress was... it felt foreign and unwelcome. I did not enjoy the way the fabric held against the corset, or how the soft white and cream colors of the dress seemed to make me look like a completely different woman.