Chapter One

It's short, but I promised an update with this ASAP! But, I will try and update again in a day or two. This is just a taste of the madness that is about to go down!

I hope you enjoy my loves :)
______

With the castle quiet, I slipped from my bed. A smile grew on my lips as I ran over to the hiding spot that I kept the clothes that I used when going exploring. If Father ever saw me wearing something such as trousers, I knew that he would be disappointed with me.

"You are a princess, Naomi. And a princess do not wear trousers like a man."

But, in this moment, I didn't care.

My testing would be a in a few weeks time, and there was only so much that I could take. Breathing out a sigh of relief as I lifted the secret compartment in my chest, I lifted the trousers and shirt that I had borrowed from the maids one evening. Lifting the worn leather into my hands, I felt it as it slid slightly across the pads of my finger tips. Looking around outside, I could see the guardsman flying over head, while some walked around on the grounds. They were on their usual route tonight.

Slipping on the worn clothes, I felt the warm, summer air flow into my room, causing the curtains to flow around. With my boots on my feet, my hair up on my head, I looked like a small boy that had gotten lost. So many times I would have been caught sneaking off into the night, wanting to explore the world around me. But, I was never caught. The guardsman didn't know the secret passages in the halls like I did. Mother knew of only a few, but she would never dare go inside them, not when Father was so stern about keeping out of them.

"A princess does not wander around the castle, she must learn to be a queen and how to play the harp. Now, start again on the lullaby."

Rolling my eyes at that thought, I ducked behind the large tapestry that hung beside the fireplace. Opening the door, I slipped into the darkness, knowing the hallways far too well for my own good. Smiling, I snuck down to the bottom floor of the palace, knowing if I left through the kitchen, I would be hidden enough for the guardsman to not notice me as they walked around the grounds.

Feeling the groove that I had carved into the stone way, I followed it to the stone door that was hidden behind the kitchen. Placing my ear against it, I listened for any bit of sound, but was met with blissful silence. Smiling, I pushed the stone pathway open far enough to where I could squeeze out of the opening. Ducking down, I looked around the table, seeing the honey bread laying out from the days meal. Licking my lips, I crawled over, taking two loafs that I knew would be bad in a few days time. The cooks wouldn't miss these, there were far too many.

Mother did enjoy her Honey Bread. And Father never denied her craving for sweets.

Finding the satchel that I hid under the loose tile beside the large cabinates, I placed the bread inside, along with the cloth that I had wrapped them in. Checking to make sure the knife that I had always kept inside the pouch was still there, I looked around the kitchen once more. Seeing no one here, and that the coals were now dimmed down, leaving the only light to fill the room from the moons and stars, I dashed towards the doorway.

"A princess does not run, Naomi. You walk with elegance and grace."

Letting out a sigh at my Father's lectures, I creaked open the door enough to see the guards walk past slowly. Waiting until I could hear them walk towards the gardens, I made a quick run for it, keeping low in the shrubs as I went to go the long way around the castle. Stopping every few minutes, I watched as the guardsman laughed and talked amongst themselves, completely unaware of the princess hiding away in the bushes.

That caused me to giggle, and I quickly covered my mouth as a gasp left me.

The head of a guardsman snapped towards my direction, his eyes glaring into the bushes. Sinking down low in the shrubbery, I watched as he slowly walked towards me, his hand on the handle of his sword, ready to be drawn at any given moment.