Chapter Ten

It feels good to be back!

Enjoy my loves! :)

________

          There are few things in life that I truly understand, and many things that  I once claimed to have an understanding of.

           For instance, from a young age, I could grasp the concept of life. It was a gift, like that of my baby brother, Killian, being born. I was old enough to remember, having just truly starting to walk and talk on my own, or as Father claims: run and scream.

           When recalling back on my life, I know my first memory, vivid and bright. It's as if I was looking at a moving picture before me each time I thought of it. How fitting that it was of new life, new possibilities, a new story.

           Father held me in his arms, smiling and kissing the top of my head while he brought me into his and mother's sleeping chambers. There, mother lay with a softly crying baby, naked underneath the wool blanket that Father had called for the handmaiden to fetch. I watched in wonder, young and curious of the world around me, tilting my head from side to side.

           "Hello my darlings," Mother whispered, looking at the two of with a smile. I smiled back, instantly reaching for her. But, for some reason, Father stopped me. I didn't want Father to hold me, I wanted Mother to hold me! Why would he not let me go to Mom? I sniffled, covering my eyes, rubbing them as sleep washed over me.

             The sun wasn't up yet, it was still asleep below the sea. Why had Father woke me up from sleeping? I was having a nice dream of playing with the horses in the meadow. Sniffling, I lay my head down on Father's shoulder, wanting to go back to bed if I wasn't allowed to see Mommy.

            "Do you want to meet your new brother?" Father asked as he kissed the top of my head. I opened my eyes, looking from him to Mother, to the softly crying baby. He looked like one of my dolls that Father and Mother gave me.

             "Come here, darling." Mother whispered, smiling at me with red cheeks and tears in her eyes. Looking at Father, he smiled and walked us over to the bed. Sitting down, he sat me in his lap. I did not want to be in Father's lap. I wanted to see the doll.

             Crawling off of Father's lap, I moved across the covers of the bed beside Mother, grabbing the covers to help pull me along. Finally, I sat down beside Mother, my legs stretched before me, curiosity of the doll that Father called my Brother.

              Shifting slightly, Mother moved to where I could see the face of the doll, only to see that it blinked back at me. Taken back by this, I moved forward slightly.

              "Do you remember how Mommy's tummy was large and round?" Father asked, looking at me as he reached for Mother's hand. I nodded my head, not seeing the large belly she had. Where did it go? "She was protecting your baby brother, letting him grow big and strong so he could come and play with you."

              Play! I giggled and bounced where I sat, ready to play. Brother... does that mean he is Mother and Father's darling, too?

             "Shh..." Mother whispered, smiling at me. "We have to be soft and sweet, otherwise we can hurt the baby." I nodded my head. No hurting the new plaything! I must be nice. "Now, do you want to see him?" I giggled, reaching for my Brother.

            Father watched with a smile, rubbing on Mother's knee under the cover, smiling at all of us. I smiled, looking at Mother taught me how to hold my arms and hands, putting pillows around me. Were we going to be making a pillow castle to play in? He's so small... we might lose him!