Chapter Nine

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

    It's been a while since I have logged onto Wattpad, especially with everything that has been going on in my personal life! But, all good things have come out of this! So, let's start off this year with a bang and get this book finished!

I hope you all are having a wonderful new year, and I hope you enjoy! :)

________

               The night air was filled with the soft breeze, billowing faint traces of musk and late night chatter that flowed threw the hallways. My feet padded against the stone floor, each step like that of my heart, soft and steady. Skyrin walked by my side, eyes scanning around for any danger, though something inside me seemed to realize that I was the true danger. Here I stood, my head held high, though I felt like I should have it lowered. Each step brought me closer to one of our own that had been taken from us. Yet, each step took me further away from the safety of my chambers, where I was assured privacy.

             With one hand on the railing, the other holding the skirts of my dress, I took the stairs quickly, knowing fully well how odd I looked. Though I wore no crown, my title was known, confusing those that I passed.

            I dressed like a queen, but I was rushing and inelegant like that of a commoner.

            Blood rushed in my ears, drowning out all sounds around me, leaving me in an anxious trance that was impossible to break. Skyrin had quickened his pace, and with his commanding title, guards soon followed behind him sensing the danger that hung in the air. But, even with the danger that was possibly there, I knew that I must step forward. Soon, in only a few short weeks, I would no longer be in my chambers when matters like this happened. I would be the first to know, giving the orders to send for help from family.

            This would all be my responsibility very soon.

            "Princess!" I heard Skyrin say as I went from a quickened pace to a complete run. I could hear the pounding of all the feet hurry as I rushed forward, calling for the guards to keep the doors open to the chambers as they closed. The scent of metal, blood, and rotting flesh hung in the air, causing bile to slowly work up my esophagus. I wished to turn and vomit into the pot that held a large palm plant, but I simple slowed my pace as I came to the large doors to the Throne room. Two guards in armor stood before me, looking straight ahead, ignoring my presence.

            In between the doors, I could see a broken and battered body that was crumpled on the marbled floor. His body was strong, muscles tight, but he was thin and unnourished. Blood seemed to be rolling in waves onto the carpet from the slashes on his ankles and thighs, along with those on his shoulders. It was heartbreaking to see the side of him, how he looked so defeated and naked, head lowered as if he was ashamed.

            Taking a step forward, I went to walk into the throne room, only to gasp and jump back in surprise as two swords came and blocked my way. To my surprise, when I stepped back, I could not feel Skyrin. The warmth that flowed through me when he was close did not come. In the distance, I could hear feet as they slapped against the floor, a quick pace as the men tried to keep up with him. I seemed to have ran much faster than I had intended.

              But with the surprise, I found that anger followed suit.

            "Allow me to pass," I commanded, straightening my back and raising my head to look into their eyes. They didn't blink or move their swords. Blinking in surprise, I stepped forward. "Remove your swords so I can join my family." I commanded once again.