twelve

We pulled into Vic's garage. He closed the door with the button attached to his sun visor. At my house, we had to close the door from a panel inside the garage. Another difference was that his garage led right into his kitchen, whereas at my house you have to walk 15 yards to the house. It especially sucks when it's raining.

Vic shut the car off and grabbed the movies from my hands. He opened the door and made a slick move to hide the red box from me. By this point, it was eating me alive not knowing what it was. More importantly, why he was keeping it from me.

I proceeded to get out of the car. By the time I stepped out Vic was already on the other side of the door, waiting for me. How sweet.

Vic closed the car door behind me and led me into his kitchen. A person I had never seen before was standing over the sink, washing potatoes. He turned his head to face us when he heard the door shut.

"Oh hey, Vic. Could you bring the garbage can here?" The man asked Vic. He set the three movies down on the counter but shoved the red box into the pocket of his hoodie.

"Sure thing Dad," Vic replied. So this was Vic's dad? I glanced him over. His hair was gray, but just slightly, like he was only starting to age. He looked maybe 45. He had just a little bit of facial hair. He looked nice. Both in appearance and personality. He caught me standing there looking at him.

"Who's your friend?" He asked.

Vic brought the trash can to him and looked at me as well.

"Dad, this is Kellin, my tutor. I invited him to stay the night," Vic told him. He nodded.

"Hi, Kellin. I'm Vincent," he said to me and smiled. I smiled back at him. I would have shaken his hand but it was currently rubbing dirt off potatoes.

"Nice to meet you, sir," I nodded at him.

"I hope you like skins," Vincent said to me. I was confused.

"What?" I asked.

"Skins, on your potatoes? We don't bother peeling them before mashing. Too much work," Vic clarified.

"Oh, okay. Yeah, I don't mind," I told them both.

"Good, good."

"Anyway, Dad, Kellin and I are gonna go up to my room. Let me know if you need any help," Vic told his dad. Vincent nodded to him then waved him off. Vic grabbed the movies from the counter and motioned for me to follow him. I did.

"Don't bother your brother!" Vincent yelled at us as we started walking away.

"Yeah, yeah," Vic mumbled. I laughed at him.

He led me up the stairs to his room. I remembered it from the other day. I walked in and tossed my bag next to his bed and took a seat. Vic closed the door behind me and set the movies down on his dresser. He took his hoodie off. Underneath was a blue tank top. He looked really good in it.

Vic noticed me looking at him and smiled.

"What are you looking at?" Vic asked me. I shook my head.

"Nothing," I responded. He laughed and came to sit next to me. I turned my body to face him. He still had that smile on his face. Damn, this boy smiled a lot.

"Hey," he said to me.

"Hey," I replied. He smiled wider, if even possible.

"What do you wanna do?" I shrugged.

"It's your house," I said to him, "What do you wanna do?"

Vic grabbed the movies from his dresser and his laptop from the side table.

"Pick a movie," he said, handing the pile to me. I selected Pippi Longstocking and handed it to him. He put it in his laptop and pulled up the player so we could watch it.

Vic moved back against his headboard and patted the space next to him. I got the message and moved myself next to him. He placed a pillow over our laps and set his laptop on it. The movie started and already Vic was singing along with the opening. I laughed at him. That made him over-dramatize his singing and gestures. He was flailing his arms and leaning on me, singing loudly and off-key in my face. I shoved him off but he kept doing it. The song finally ended and he chilled out.

"You're an idiot," I told him, keeping as straight of a face as I could. I couldn't contain my amused smile though.

"I know," Vic replied, "But you like it."

He reached his hand up to caress my cheek. I stole a glance at his lips and imagined them against mine. Vic leaned in and whispered, "Is this okay?"

I nodded. With that, Vic pressed his lips softly against mine. I kissed him back lightly for a few seconds before we parted.

"You wanna play a game?" Vic asked me quietly. I cocked my head.

"Sure?" It came out as more of a question.

"'kay." He paused the movie and got off the bed. He walked over the where he tossed his hoodie and grabbed the red box from his pocket. Was that the game?

Vic tossed the box in my direction and yelled, "Think fast!"

I fumbled to grab the small red box, yet, I still dropped it. Vic laughed at me.

"You were supposed to catch that," he chuckled. I mumbled a 'shut up' while taking a look at the mysterious box. Vic had spent so much effort hiding it from me. I now understood why. It was Pocky. The kissing game.

I looked at him and laughed.

"This is what you tried so hard to hide earlier?" He shrugged at me before sitting cross-legged at the foot of his bed.

"You wanna play or not?" Vic said to me. Time for the smart-ass in me to come out.

"Do you wanna play or not," I corrected him. I placed a smug smile on my face.

"God, that's adorable," Vic said to me, leaning over to kiss my cheek. I blushed.

"Um... game? Or no? Uh..." I stuttered. I never stuttered. What?

"Yeah, sure sorry," Vic apologized, moving back to his original position, "Do you know how to play?"

I nodded, "One of us holds the stick in their mouth, the other tries to eat as much as they can before one pulls away-- either from fear or awkwardness. It's simple really."

Vic nodded before opening the box and the bag inside it and placing a pocky stick in his mouth. I looked at him, at his eyes. They were so beautiful. Why hadn't I noticed them before?

I leaned forward and bit a tiny piece of the cracker off. I went as slowly as I could. Vic sighed and I could tell he was getting impatient. So I took a huge bit and closed the space. I didn't kiss him though. I just bit the cracker off and pulled away like the scaredy cat I am.

Vic just stared at me after that. He didn't say anything. I think I disappointed him. I didn't like the silence between us so I said, "Your turn," I grabbed a pocky stick and put it in my mouth.

Vic smiled and went in instantly. He didn't bother taking it slow like I had. Within two bites his lips were already against mine. I smiled into the kiss. I wasn't going to lose this round. I kept my lips in place until Vic eventually pulled away.

"You lost," I said to him in the calmest voice I possible could.

"I know."