thirteen

"So then there we are, tied game," Vic said, his expression dead serious. He was telling me his most exciting story. I was lying on his chest and he was stroking my hair.

"Then your boy Vic starts sprinting down the field. I kid you not, five players from the other team were chasing me. One of them nearly tripped me!" I let out a chuckle. Vic looked down at me with an amused smile. 

"But I managed to get to the goal in the last five seconds of the game. All of my teammates came and they literally lifted me in the air and carried me back to the locker room," Vic finished up his story. He was so passionate about soccer. It was adorable.

"Sounds like fun," I responded. I didn't know what else to say. Vic continued. "The after party was great, Kell. You should have been there."

I remained silent. Vic looked down at me.

"Oh wait, you're an introvert. I forgot." He laughed.

"Have you ever been to a game?" Vic asked me. I sat up and shook my head.

"I'm not a huge fan of physical activity," I told him.

Vic's expression turned a little more serious. He sat up and faced me.

"Your turn. Tell me an amazing story about you." I froze. I didn't have any stories to tell. Vic must have noticed my change in mood.

"No stories?" Vic asked me. I shook my head. He cocked his head.

"Okay let me see. Kellin," He paused for a second, choosing what he wanted to say next carefully.

"Once upon a time, there was a cute boy named Kellin Quinn." I laughed. Vic went on. 

"He was the cutest boy in all the land. All the girls wanted to be with him, all the boys wanted to be him." Vic flailed his arms for extra effect. I laughed even more.

"Except for Vic. Vic wanted to be with him." Vic reached over and grabbed my hand before continuing. I looked down at our hand and smiled. Vic took his other hand and lifted my chin so that my eyes met his.

"One day Vic asked Kellin out and Kellin said yes, and now Vic lives happily ever after. The End."I smiled at Vic's story and leaned in to kiss him.

"Vic, can I borrow your blue jacket," someone yelled from the other side of the door. Vic jumped when the voice began and look at me with 'sorry' written all over his face.

A boy no older than me opened the door and eyed me curiously.

"Who's this?" Vic got up and introduced us. He motioned to the boy.

"Kell, this is my brother, Mike. Mike, this is Kellin," he said awkwardly.

"Hi," I said to the boy, Mike.

"Hey. Listen Vic," Mike continued on, obviously not caring much about my presence.

"Can I borrow the jacket or what?" Mike asked. Vic shrugged.

"Sure, whatever. Just give is back as soon as you can, 'kay?" Vic responded.

"Thanks bro," Mike said. He grabbed a blue jacket from a chair in the corner of the room and left. He slammed the door behind him.

Vic sighed and flopped back on his bed. His hair fell in his face at impact. I reached a hand over and pulled a strand away from his face.

"Some brother," I commented. Vic sat up and looked at me.

"He just going through a lot right now with our mom and--"

"Wait, what's wrong with your mom?" I asked him. He never mentioned anything about his mom before.

"Shit," he mumbled. He must haven't wanted to tell me anything.

"Vic?"

"She's um... She's not doing well," he admitted. I felt bad.

"What's wrong?" I pushed. He sighed.

"She has this thing. It's called cystic fibrosis. It's deadly and she's been in the hospital for weeks. Mike's taking it pretty bad," he told me.

"I'm so sorry, Vic. Are you okay?" He nodded and leaned over to hug me. I hugged him back. I didn't know how it felt to have someone you love be on the brink of death. It couldn't feel good though.

"I'm okay, Kell. Seriously." I nodded. I wouldn't press the issue any further. I just had one more question.

"Is that why you were gone from school the other day?" Vic nodded at me and wiped under his eye.

I leaned over and hugged Vic around his neck. I didn't want him to cry. I just wanted him to be fine. For us to be fine.

"Dinner!" Vic's dad yelled from downstairs.

Vic and I separated our hug. He got off the bed and extended his arm to help me up. I grabbed his hand and he pulled me up. He didn't let go once I was up though. Vic held my hand all the way to the top of the stairs.

We walked down the stairs in silence. Vic's dad greeted us as we entered the kitchen. Vic's entire demeanor changed the second we walk in. He went from cad to cheerful Vic in a matter of 2.5 seconds. I was glad that he was feeling fine again.