Chapter Nine

6:30 am

When my alarm went off, I felt as if I'd closed my eyes two seconds before, but I was the most rested I'd been in a while.

I sat straight up and pranced to the shower. The warm water ran over my body, comforting my like Grayson's sweatshirt had all night. I dried off, entered my bedroom, and slid on some light wash skinny jeans. Then, I slipped an off-white bralette over my head. Finally, Grayson's wrestling sweatshirt completed my outfit. I hoped he would mind if I wore it to school.

I quickly shadowed my eyelids lightly, added mascara, and swiped chopstick across my lips.

The music emitting from my phone quoted as Grayson texted me.

Grayson: I'm outside your house, whenever you're ready, I'm ready.

I replied.

Me: On my way out now.

I slid my converse on over my grey socks and hopped out the door, locking it behind me.

"Chicken minis from Chick Fil A," his husky voice was muffled by the ruffling of the paper bag.

"Gray, you didn't have to do this." My heart melted as he handed me the bag.

"I didn't. My mom did," he chuckled.

"Aw. How sweet! I'll have to come over after school and thank her," I placed my right hand over my heart, showing my appreciation.

"I think she'd love that," Grayson smirked. "I would too." He pressed the gas and we were off.

***

Murmurs enveloped the two of us and we exited the Jeep and walked in the front doors.

"Are they together?"

"I heard they were a thing."

"She's so lucky."

"Why her?"

Grayson's hand slid on my bag and to my shoulder, confirming all suspicions.

"I guess this makes us official?" I whisper into his ear.

"I guess you're right," he smiled.

Lorna and Sarah caught my eyes and I directed Grayson towards them.

"So..." Lorna shifted her weight. "Are you guys like a thing or..."

"Yes," Grayson interjected. "Very much. We are a thing."

I grinned at him and Sarah squealed and Lorna clapped.

Ethan and Korie came up next to us. Korie was thrown over his shoulders as she attempted to break free, but failing.

"Ready for Spanish?" Grayson led me to the classroom as the warning bell rang.

"Ugh no," I whined.

"We'll get through it together," he gripped my hand and laughed at my disgust. "Come on, it'll be fine."

"Whatever." I mumble as Grayson dragged me through the door.

When I walked into the fluorescent lighting of the classroom, I felt eyes like daggers on me. Most of them were from girls, some even from boys. I smiled meekly and slid into my desk. Grayson plopped down behind me, and hugged me from behind.

"It'll be alright," he assured me, and kissed my cheek.

He seemed so confident that it would be okay, but I wasn't so sure.