Chapter Six

"Of course," Grayson's eyes softened. "Are you sure you're comfortable?"

I nodded and sat at the table. He sat across from me.

"Well, I don't know if you know who Justin Carmichael is, since he's a Junior." He shook his head, confirming my assumption. "Well, we were... together. For two years."

Grayson rested his head on his right hand, falling deep into listening.

"On the Fourth of July this summer, my family had there annual cookout. Justin came, as he had the two year years before. The day was great! He was friendly with my family and with me, he went swimming with my little sister, and he even help my father grill. As the sun began to set, we were all by the poolside watching fireworks. Justin's phone began to ring. I saw the name 'Jesse'." I'm not a paranoid person by any means, but I saw her caller ID picture and began to worry. Justin was in the bathroom, so I answered for him. I didn't do this for deception. We answered the phone for each other quite often.

'Hello?' I answered.

'Justin? Are you at Becca's house again?! I told you to break up with her if you wanted me! We're done!' She screamed into the phone.

When Justin came back outside, I was furious. I pulled him into the house. There was yelling, but we stood probably five feet apart. Suddenly, I felt a burn across my right cheek. He had slapped me.

My father saw this through the window. I stormed into the house and shoved Justin out the front door. The were other words said, but that's irrelevant.

After that breakup, I never left my room for more than a shower or food."

I saw a tear in Grayson's eye. He lifted his left hand and rested it on my cheek. His thumb rubbed in small circles. "I don't understand how any human being could hurt such a beautiful, amazing girl like you."

Grayson pulled it away when he heard door creaked behind him as Ethan rushed through it. Hey Becca where's your bathroom?"

"Down the hall, make a right," I guided him.

"Hey do you want to go out to the pool?" I asked him. Tears streamed down my face.

Grayson wiped them away and followed me outside.