Chapter 37

I look into Ian's black orbs. And they show nothing I expected. I expected it to show me signs of lie, but his eyes are speaking the gospel of truth at the moment.

"What?" I ask, completely shocked by what he said.

"Yeah. Her name is Elaine. That's what she told me," Ian says.

"How do you know her?" I ask.

He clears his throat. "Um, that's - Leave that, Phillip. That's not important right now."

An angry nerve pops in my forehead. "You don't get to decide what is important for me. I will not tolerate any more secrets. If you're going to tell me everything, you can stay. Otherwise, the door is wide open."

He sighs in defeat. "Look, Phillip. Sometimes, it's best not to share everything. What good can it come from me telling you everything if that can only put you in more danger?"

I snarl, my anger at it's peak. "And now you're quoting Stephanie. Do you remember the voice mail she left on Ryan's phone? You sound exactly like her. Are you going to disappear on me too? Because that's what she did after leaving that message.

"What is it with you two and protecting me from danger, huh? Can't you see that you not telling me what the fuck is happening will not stop me from digging deep? I'm not a fucking baby, okay? I can take care of myself. In fact, fuck taking care! Why should I take care of myself? My life is worth nothing except killing Stephanie's murderer. You're only in my way if you don't tell me anything."

"Phillip..." Ian whines.

"No, Ian. You cannot talk me out of this. Just tell me whatever shit you wanted to tell me first and get the fuck off of my house because liars and traitors are not invited into the house."

Ian's eyes flick to mine a moment and I see a truck load of hurt, but then he looks down to the ground to hide them. I start to worry about the choice of words I flung on him, but then all his bad deeds that made me do so run through my mind.

"Fine. I'll convey what I am supposed to and then I'll never again come back to your house. All I wanted to say was that your father might be in danger and you too. You both have imminent danger lurking in the shadows from the past week and I wanted to warn you to stay inside your house and keep a sharp eye towards any ambiguity. There, that's all. Goodbye, Phillip."

Ian gives me a two finger salute and walks out of my house, probably forever.

Grief consumes me first as I muse about potentially losing my best friend. But then confusion sets in.

My father was attacked last week. Ian accurately said that danger was lurking from past week.

There are so many gaps I need to fill, but one thing is very clear.

Ian is connected to all of this. He is definitely connected to the very middle of this shit. And I need to get him to tell me whatever he can.

***
"You just let him leave? Seriously?" Daniel raises his voice.

"I, well - I asked him to leave in the first place! How could I have stopped him?" I shout back, trying to defend myself. But I know I screwed up. Not only did I lose my best friend, I also lost a direct way that lead me to the pulse of the case.

Daniel sighs exasperatedly and leans back on the couch. "This is a fucking mess."

I lean in and place my elbows on my knees. The tension in my temples is overwhelming and I rub it with my fingers. But my efforts are in vain.

There are only ten fingers in the whole world that can work magic on my stressed temples. And those ten fingers are buried under a grave, probably decomposing.