Chapter 4

When I roll over to the other side of the bed, I hear a sleepy groan. "Phil!" I half - open my eyes. I see her angry eyes on me. "What?" I ask, already knowing the reason. "You're on my side of the bed, idiot! And I'm at your hideous left side!"

I chuckle. "Steph," "Don't you Steph me. Switch sides now,"

"Okay! Geez!"

She rolls on top of me and tries to get to her side but I lock her knees with my arms when she's on top of me.

"Phil!" she giggles. "What? I thought this was your favorite side! On top of me," She giggles even more and hugs me, resting her head on my chest.

"I missed you, love." I say.

"You did? But why? I'm right here, idiot!" She says, her voice filled with love.

"You are, aren't you? You're right here with me..."

She nods and looks up at my face. I lean in to kiss her and I know she's here. She's right here.

"Phil, you do know that I love you no matter what, right?" "Of course I do."

"And you?"

"I love you more than anybody else could love another person. I've been in love with you all my life. I'll always love you that way."

She smiles that smile that reaches her eyes and warms me up and tingles my heart.

"I know that too." She lies down on my chest comfortably. "So, you'll forgive me, right?" She whispers.

"Forgive you?" I ask and look down to my chest. It's empty, without her.

"Steph?" I ask, my voice trembling.

There is no answer on the other end. Just dead silence...

I woke up covered in sweat. It was a dream. Stephanie wasn't actually here. She was there just in my dreams.

I didn't actually realize it until now. This is it for me. I'm going to be alone for the rest of my life with just memories and dreams of her. My greatest nightmare came true.

No, I need to get out of this room. I need some water.

I get up and make it to the hall. Ian's not there within sight. He must have gone to his room. I gaze at the moonlight as I fill a glass of water in the kitchen.

Stephanie is crazy about full moons. She always stays up on the nights of full moon, opening our bedroom window and gazing at it all night. Her skin glows in the moonlight. Not like a diamond glow, even brighter than that. There is no element yet to be found that glows like her skin under moonlight.

Without knowing, I'm trailing back to my first date with her. We went for dinner. Instead of dropping her at home right after, we wanted some more time. So, we laid down on the hood of my car and gazed the night sky. We kissed the first time when a shooting star appeared. It was magical and very romantic. But the best part was it all felt real. Too real.

I smile a little, my mind giving me beautiful pictures of her face in the moonlight during our first date.
When my glass is filled, I go sit on the dining table which has a beautiful view of the moon. There are some sheets and files on the table. Must be Ian's. I take them and go through them.

The name on the top read Stephanie Scott. What is this file?

As I skim through it, I recognize it. It's her autopsy report. And she did not die of brain death or head damage like Richard and Ian said.