Chapter 21

"Bhai, would you like some coffee?"

Trisha snaps me out of my thoughts.

"No. I would like some freedom."

She giggles. "Bhai, you're acting like I've locked you inside this house."

"Oh, but you have. You've done just that! It's been a week since I woke up and almost 10 days since my intro at the Café. I seriously need to get back on track and you're curbing my progress."

She rolls her eyes. "You done? FYI, that's the hundredth time you've given me that complain now. Congratulations on your century hit!"

I couldn't help but smile at the influence of Indian cricket on her. Who else uses 'century'?

"There you go! Smile, sleep, eat! And stop whining 24x7. You're beginning to give me a headache."

I pout and lay back on my bed, to which I'm literally chained to. Except I'm not 'literally' chained. I'm chained metaphorically by Trisha's orders.

JP hasn't called me yet and neither has Daniel or Leril shown some progress in finding the five guys who broke into my house. It's really frustrating not to have my hands in the situation and work it out my way and I'm beginning to get extremely grumpy at everything.

Trisha gives me a cup of coffee and sits on the chair by my desk. Her phone chimes and she checks for messages.

"Dude! Really? Are you serious?!" She cries and I chuckle.

"You do know that you can't be heard over text messages, don't you? Oh right, you're Tri. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Of course you didn't know," I snicker.

She glares at me.

"Okay, okay, geez! Don't burn me with that look. What's wrong?"

"The stupid firm can't function without me, it seems. There's apparently a big crisis right now and I have to be there tomorrow. Which is in 6 hours now. Ugh! I hate the LA - NY time gap!'

"It's called time zone - "

I am cut off by her glare again.

"Sure, gap it is. Time gap sounds apt," I mutter and hold my snicker inside.

"Now what do I do? Who will be here with you?"

"In case you haven't noticed, I'm not 10 anymore. I'm 24."

She rolls her eyes. "But you'll behave like the former if I leave you alone and get yourself in trouble. Your wound isn't cured yet. But I really really have to go now!"

"I'll take care of him."

We both turn to see Leril.

"No thanks," Trisha says immediately.

"Come on, I heard you before. You have to go and Phillip needs help. I already told you, we're totally platonic. It's just a friend to friend help," Leril defends herself.

Tri still shakes her head and runs through the contacts on her phone. She makes a few calls to her friends while Leril convinces her and I watch the two go about in cat fighting not minding the subject on highlight here.

Oh how I wish for some popcorn.

"Fine," Tri huffs, after half an hour. "But I'll call you once an hour and you better stay with him. And you dare not hit on him."

"Geez no!" Leril shrinks her nose and Trisha sighs.

"Alright, I believe you. Don't break the trust," she says and they both shake hands on it.