[7] Oh Stars, Please Protect

Nura Rikuo, who doesn't know that name? The titled King of Youkai, the direct descendant of Nurarihyon. As the grandson he is and the one who protects both humans and Youkai, many Youkai respect him fully and pledge their loyalty to him. It's not exaggerating to say that Rikuo has everything in his current life. He has many loyal followers and friends, and he's well-liked by many; even if they're not close with him, his family are healthy and happy. Even without his father beside him, Rikuo didn't feel lonely.

Then, why does Rikuo still feel like there's a small hole in his heart, gnawing at him gradually? He knows that this is such a trivial thing and probably only him overthinking. But somehow, he can't get it out of his mind. Rikuo hates it. The poisonous thought of being isolated as the strongest, as the leader of his clan.

" Rikuo-kun? "
Suddenly, a gentle voice called out.

It's none other than the guy sitting beside him, Natsume. They have been sitting on the floor, taking their sweet time looking at the vast backyard with small and big Youkai doing their routines. Natsume shouldn't be so surprised, but to see a lot of Youkai gathered in one place--let alone a house--it's kinda shocking to him.

" Oh, yes. What is it, Natsume-san? "

" Umm... I'm really sorry about Nyanko-sensei's behaviour before. Well, I wouldn't say he's usually behaved, but..."

Natsume didn't know what to say. It's not his intention to make an excuse. But everything he will say will sound like an excuse by now. Nyanko-sensei is always rude, whether to his friends or not anyway. Not to mention his bullying nature as a beast Youkai.

Looking at his new friend flustered like that, Rikuo's insecurity train lifted up with a slight chuckle.

" Ahaha, it's alright, Natsume-san. Somehow, it's really refreshing to see Nyanko-san like that. And Gramps' backache getting better as well, probably because he's happy seeing his old friend. I'm used to dealing with that sort of character. Elders are often like that: mean and stubborn, but they're just lonely.
Rikuo laughed sheepishly. Giving a glimpse of his familiarity with handling the situation.

" Haha, thank you, Rikuo-kun. You're really mature for your age. Oh yeah, I guess I should start returning names now. "

" Don't mention it, Natsume-san. I'm still behaving like a child so much, though. "

Rikuo then lead the way to Natsume. They must wait before Nurarihyon can gather all the youkai with their names in the Book of Friends. So, while waiting for him, Rikuo and Natsume were spending time together as Rikuo showed him around the house.

Natsume was surprised when Rikuo told him only his mother--Kana-san--was completely a human living in this house. But nevertheless, Natsume felt a little happiness when Rikuo said that. It was a feeling that Natsume couldn't explain.

" Sorry if it takes too long. Lately, many small and big Youkai would like to join our clan, so it's a bit hard to search for the ones who are still in contract with your grandmother. "
Rikuo gave a troubled smile as they got nearer to the room.

" It's alright, I have plenty of time. But maybe-- "

Right when Rikuo slid open the door, the aura of many youkai gathered in one place suddenly burst out.

There are so many youkai in here, from strong to weak youkai. And the moment Natsume saw this, the only thought that came to his mind was only...

" But maybe I don't have much power to return this many names all at once. "
Natsume sighed menntally. 

.