23 | Lucky One

<Nagisa>
After our shift ended that night, I left with a completed heart to take home with me. I'm lucky that my first chance of love was this easy.
But honestly, there was an unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach, to which I was guilty to be falling in love.

As I felt the train station, Sugino was waiting outside in the midst of the dancing stars in the sky. He was wearing a hoodie with the word baseball, printed on the front and thick sweat pants.

"Oh hey." He waved.

"Thanks for waiting." As I saw his nose red from the lingering cold night.

"No problem."

"You know, you'll get a cold wearing that." I dragged it out like a mother.

"Hmm? I'm quite comfortable and toasty." He laughed. "Look at you, like a marshmallow."

"H-hey!" I pushed his slightly away.

"Joking, joking." He patted my back.

As we walked, Sugino talked about the kids he had been coaching at the youth centers.
Then, he changed the subject onto me when we made a turn on the street.

"You look rather happy tonight. You've been kind of depressed for awhile." He pointed out.

"W-was I that obvious?" I asked.

"You're more engaged now."

"Sorry." I apologized.

"No worries. As long as you're back to your old self. It doesn't matter." He smiled.

Now I'm questioning whether my expressions are readable to everyone else. I guess I'm bad at hiding my feelings. But I'm just happy that Karma is back at the facility.

"Quick question." Sugino nudged my arm.

"Yes?"

"I need to buy a gift for someone and I don't know where to start. Will you accompany me to the mall?"

Shopping? Hmm, that's rather sudden.

"Why not. I don't mind as long as we go in the morning." I reminded him of my afternoon job.

"Of course. So it's a yes?"

I nodded my head.
Is it for his mother?

<Sugino>
Yes! Way to go Sugino. You landed a date with Nagisa. Well, kind of. You did hide the fact that the special someone you're buying a gift for is Nagisa.
That's my plan. I'll capture her heart on that day and confess my love once more.

"So when?" Nagisa poked my arm.

Ahhh, she's too cute.

"If it's not any trouble, what about tomorrow morning?" I suggested.

"Aright. Yeah, that's fine." Nagisa agreed.

"Great."
Play it cool.

When I was imagining what the date would be like, I heard the motor of a car tailing behind us. Louder and boisterous as it approached.

"Ah, Nagisa watch out."

I hook my arms around her shoulder and grabbed her in close to me. She accidentally stumbled into my arms when I did that. I could smell the light scent of her perfume. Peaches.

The car rushed past with a swoosh.
Phew, that was close. Damn, reckless drivers these days. Might as well let them run stop signs while we're at it.