Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

"Makes sense," he teases.

The waitress places our burgers in front of us, on oval shaped plates. I thank her once she put the fries in between us.

"Favourite food?" he asks me as I take a bite of my burger.

"Tacos," I reply with my mouth full.

"Classy."

I grin and he makes a face at me.

"If you could choose to have one super power, what would it be?"

"You're so weird," he laughs, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. "Um... I'd like to fly. It would just be easier than walking. Or teleporting. Something to do with travelling faster."

"Good one," I nod.

"You are seriously the messiest eater," he scrunches up his nose as he notices the sauce running down my hands.

"Yeah," I reply, once again with my mouth full. "I get that a lot."

"Can't imagine taking you to a fine restaurant," he laughs. "We would get kicked out and never let back in."

"That's just mean."

"Truth hurts."

I laugh and half-choke on my chicken. He lets out a loud laugh, causing heads to swivel our way as I almost choke to death. I quickly down some juice, in attempt to relieve my throat as Hayden continues to laugh at me.

We continue to play the game as we finish eating. I pick at the fries in front of me, dragging out eating them so we can sit here longer. I want to talk to him all day. Our conversation continues to roll, never seizing for a moment, even when we get up and thank the girl for her hospitality.

Now we are passed this awkward stage, I find that Hayden has really opened up. I'm beginning to see the guy, that I think he used to be, before whatever happened between him and Carrie.

"Beach?" I ask as we re-enter his car.

"Yeah."

After sliding the gear into first gear, he places his hand on my bare thigh. My eyes widen as I stare down at his hand. My pulse quickens as he inches it up slightly. I let out a deep exhale and attempt to seem nonchalant.

"Are you hot?" he asked, glancing over to me.

"What?"

"Are you warm?" he questions, quirking an eyebrow at me. "Do you want the air con on?"

"Not really, why?"

"You look flushed."

That's because you're touching me.

"Oh, no, I'm fine," I say with a shrug, leaning on the door frame, attempting to act normal. I must be really red for him to notice. My dark complexion comes in handy when I'm embarrassed but clearly, not today.

We pull up to the car park near the beach and he removes his hand from my leg. My skin tingles from the lack of contact and my eyes are glued to the spot he touched.

"Coming?"

I shake my head to clear my thoughts and scramble out of the car. I hadn't realised he had gotten out. I grab my towel and follow him down the path.

My legs feel stiff as I recognise man in front of us. Ashton, underneath the shower, washing off the sand from the beach.

His eyes meet mine as he turns, making me freeze, feeling like I had been caught doing something I wasn't meant to.