Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

"Hi ya'll," a cute, young girl with rosy cheeks greets us, a paper pad in one hand, a pen in the other. "What can I get you today?"

"I'll have a chicken schnitzel burger with no mayo, please," I request politely.

"No mayo?" Hayden exclaims. "You're kidding, right?"

"No, it's gross," I reply, wrinkling my nose. "It makes the lettuce soggy."

"I don't think we can do this," he says with mock seriousness, waving his hand between us. "I think this is a deal breaker."

I let out a giggle as he grina, looking back down at the menu. My cheeks heat up when I realise I actually giggled.

"Can I have the special? I think it's 'Surf's Up', right?" he questions, still looking down at the menu.

"Right," the girl nods in agreement, jotting down the order. "Your order comes with a large coke and fries." Hayden nods, before handing her his menu. "And for you?" she asks, reaching over and taking mine, before I have the chance to pick it up.

"Apple juice, please."

"Apple juice?" he deadpans. "Really?"

"Are you going to have a problem with my entire order?" I scold with a frown as the girl skips away from us, with a little too much bounce in her step.

"Only because you order weird things."

"I do not."

"Apple juice," he repeats. "Come on."

"Shut up," I laugh, playfully swatting his arm.

The girl hurries back with our drinks over and I ignore the look Hayden gives me when I take a sip.

"Let's play 21 questions."

"21 questions?" he echoes.

"What better way to get to know each other?"

"All right," he agrees, clasping his hands together. "Favourite colour?"

"Oh, starting with the hard ones," I snicker. "Blue. You?"

"No, you can't do that," her rolls his eyes. "You need to come up with your own question."

"But I want to know," I protest.

"Green, happy now?"

"Yes," I smile. "Go on."

"Unfair," he mutters, taking a sip of his coke. "If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?"

"America," I reply without hesitation. "I am dying to see New York."

"How cliché of you."

"Hey! It's a cool place."

"As if you wouldn't want to go to Dubai."

"Dubai?"

"Yeah, they have the sickest cars over there."

"Typical. How old were you when you began swimming?"

"I started swim club when I was about..." he trails off, leaning back in his chair. "Eight, I think? Maybe nine?"

"No wonder you're good," I mutter. "I was about 12, I think."

"Swim club, too?"

"Hell yeah, Marlins all the way," I grin.

"Sharks," he boasts proudly.

"Of course your team name is cooler and meaner than mine," I laugh.