Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

I get to my feet, reaching for my wallet.

"Are you wearing swimmers?" he questions as I slip my feet into my sandals.

"I don't always wear swimmers," I laugh.

He rolls his eyes playfully. "I thought we could go to the beach, or something? After we eat."

"Oh, okay. Yeah."

I enter the bathroom and strip, replacing my underwear with my blue and white striped bikini. I slide the loose dress back over my body and grab my towel, draping it over my shoulder.

"Did you bring a towel?" I ask as we make our way down the stairs.

"Yeah, it's in the ute."

I trail behind him after locking the front door (and making a mental note that I actually did lock it) and slide into the passenger seat. I settle into the seat, the leather feeling cold against my skin. I inhale with a smile. The car has a scent about it, a mixture of 'new car smell' with Hayden's cologne/natural smell. It is something I can't quite describe, but a smell that has quickly become a favourite of mine.

"Where are you taking me?" I ask, peering out of the window as we drive down town.

Surprisingly enough, I wasn't blessed with the crippling sensation of anxiety as we drive. I think I am beginning to trust and feel comfortable with Hayden now. Both him and Harvey have seemed to make their way through my anxiety, which is something I'm thankful for.

"You'll see," he mysteriously remarks, his tone playful.

I love this side of him. 

I study him for a brief moment. I like watching him drive. He is so carefree and relaxed. He is always so tense and rigid at school. He has his hand placed on the steering wheel, his thumb lightly tapping the leather. His other hand loosely resting on the gear stick. I cock my head to the side as I stare at the plain, silver bracelet he has wrapped around his wrist. It is simple and elegant, but somehow seemed quite masculine at the same time. I have never noticed it before.

"Heather bought it for me," he says as he notices my gawking.

"You mean your mother," I tease.

"Heather, mother," he shrugs. "Same difference."

"My mum would be offended if I addressed her by her actual name, instead of mum."

"She deserves to be called Heather sometimes."

"If you say so."

He pulls the car, rather abruptly, into an angle park and my shoulder roughly hit the window.

"Ow," I complain, rubbing my shoulder, even though it really didn't hurt that much.

He winces. "Sorry. I'm trying to drive a bit smoother, since you yelled at me."

I let out a laugh as I crawl out of the car. "Well you deserved it. You drove like a maniac."

"I was angry."

"So, you wanted to kill us? Wrap your ute around a tree?" I follow him into Mickey's, the burger shack that Harvey and I go to quite regularly.

"I'm a good driver."

I scoffe "Who say's?"

"Me, that's all the matters," he says firmly, before walking over to a corner table.

Sliding into the booth, I sit across from him.

The moment we sit down and look at each other, the pressure I spoke of before, suddenly feels thick around us. This hangout suddenly developed a 'date-like' feel as our eyes connect. I tear my gaze from his and stared absently down at the menu, suddenly feeling a little nervous.