100th Hunger Games

I speak back. “Yeah, yea-ugh. I’m fin-good. Very goo-awesome? Yeah awesome. Awesome as sauce. Awesomesauce.”

Fabulous.

He raises his eyebrow. Peeta is so nice I want to hug him.

That would be weird.

He looks at me so earnestly, “I know, the first time is scary. But in the end your instincts just kick in and I can tell you’ll do well because you don’t look like you’ve lost your soul like some of the other tributes have when they first participated.”

I stare at him.

Did he just say, tributes?

“Excuse me?” I choke out.

He smiles a sad smile. “You don’t know?”

No. no. no. no. no. Sure I’ve wanted to be shoved into the world of books but if I had to pick one I definitely wouldn’t pick the Hunger Games. Hell, I wouldn’t pick majority of the dystopian worlds I’ve read to shove myself into.

So I do what’s best. I slam my face into one of the metal wall hoping that one of the hits will jolt my psychotic brain back to my bedroom. Because you know, that would make the best first impression.

“Ugh, are you alright?” Peeta whispers and I just kind of pause and look at him. Like really look at him and just mentally hug him in my head and then continue to bang my head against the wall because the room is still not my bedroom.

Something crackles in the distance. I look up just in time to see a huge screen Jumbotron- light up the whole room and illuminate everyone’s faces.

“Welcome, Tributes. Welcome to the 100th Hunger Games.”