Escape - Chapter 2

Start from the beginning

Holding Rory’s hand, I make my way around the graves and to Grandma Cane’s, where Mom and Dad are already standing. There are the usual candles, flowers and a framed picture of Grandma Cane near the small stone slab.

Alright. Once again, I do not want to sound mean or anything, but I try not to pay attention to this. It makes me feel terrible that I don’t seem to remember such a terrific woman as Grandma Sally Cane.

No matter how long I stare into the gold-framed picture of a smiling woman that has Dad’s eyes, she doesn’t even seem familiar. No warmth comes through from all my time with her, which supposedly happens, you know. All I feel is a blank void.

Nothing.

I don’t remember her.

Which is why I just don’t listen.

So, basically, since Grandpa and Grandma Cane both died before Rory was born, what really happens during one of these death anniversaries is just Mom and Dad talking. Mostly Dad, though.

Rory pays attention enough to comment on things every now and then, but I usually just keep quiet.

While Dad is talking, I’m fidgety, so I look up.

He’s there again.

This time, he’s so close; I can clearly see his features. His chocolate brown eyes are almond shaped and just so mesmerizing, I couldn’t look away. His features are so... amazing. Oval shaped face, perfectly set cheekbones, a prominent chin, thin lips and fair but pale skin. He has black hair that frames his face, partly covering his ears.

He’s standing right behind the grave, and I wonder why Mom and Dad can’t see him. He’s clearly over six feet, maybe around six feet and two inches.

A tug on my sleeve makes me look down to see Rory looking up at me. “Mr. Galloway wants you to follow him.”

I can only stare at Rory for the moment. She can see him, too?

Well, at least I’m pretty sure I’m not crazy.

I look up and see that he’s still there, and upon eye contact, he nods. I’m not sure what he’s nodding about, so I ignore him and look down.

Dad finishes his speech and we’re finally free to head home.

I keep my head down so I don’t see any imaginary friends that may or may not actually be imaginary.

There’s a vibrating in my pocket and I take out the phone, press the answer button and place it over my ear.

“Hey, I’m sleeping over!” Claire says ecstatically before I’m even able to say anything.

“Good for you,” I say, finding myself smiling.

“Okay,” she replies and I can somehow see her looking around, unsure. “Can you pick me up?”

I laugh. “Sure thing, Claire.”

When I place the phone back in my pocket, I find myself thinking that I’m very lucky to have Claire as my best friend.

I lost my memory when I was fourteen, right before starting high school. My parents didn’t want to stay back in Atlanta, so we had to move to outside of Sentient, in the middle of a forest. Classes were awkward, because I was new and I’m tall, even back then.

Claire was the first person to approach me.

“You seriously have to stop moping around,” she had said, sitting next to me in Science class.

I only stared at her. She was – and still is – beautiful, and I felt quite insecure around her. I don’t remember the look I had on, but it must’ve been sad or blank because it made her iffy.