Chapter 4.1 "Don't Be Indifferent!"

Continuation of chapter 4

Riding up to the building, 'Romano Industries', Lucenzo's breathing was broken and tired. He took his time to scroll through all the thoughts in his head which he planned to pour out at Milano, but his anger blocked all his good intentions. He quickly got out of the car and went up to his brother's office. He didn't want to postpone their conversation any further. He decided to dot the i's and cross the t's.

He entered the room and found his elder brother. Milano was sitting at his huge desk, hunched over a pile of his drawings and simultaneously taking some notes. Lucenzo was glad that he didn't find his brother on the table with his secretary otherwise he would have definitely thrown the nearby chair at him.

Feeling someone's heavy gaze, Milano looked up from his work.

"Lucenzo?" He was surprised. "I didn't expect to see you here today. Come in, brother." Milano gestured to his brother to sit while he was still busy with his work.

"I don't know if I should accept your invitation or not, Milano, because I feel like I'll blow your whole office to hell!"

Lucenzo understood that he couldn't stop, despite how Milano was quiet, as if he was afraid of the unintended consequences of their conversation. Maybe he was holding something back from him.

"What are you talking about, Lu?" Milano didn't look interested, continuing to trace some lines of a future building's facade and checking the accuracy of the lines of the drawing.

"What? Don't act ignorant, Milano! I thought you have matured, but you are still the same! How could you?"

Milano suddenly raised his head, pausing from his work and looking suspiciously at Lucenzo.

"Why is my brother yelling at me as if I'm guilty of all mortal sins?"

"You let your secretary plait ropes out of you! That's why! She didn't tell you that Francesca's call was urgent!" Lucenzo shouted.

"What?" Milano couldn't understand why the whole sky was falling on him and why his brother looked at him with such fury and discontent. What did he do wrong? Or rather, what didn't he do?

"You know what I mean, Milano." Lucenzo said, coming ever closer to his brother.

Milano growled. "Tell me what is going on and stop acting like a neurotic!"

"I'll explain and then clobber you! Veronica is sick. She's pale as a sheet. Francesca is now sitting at home with her. I think you're glad that soon you will get rid of Veronica. We had a doctor come over and she said that Veronica will lose the baby if she is going to be hard on herself and work all day without resting. Why didn't you see it? Why didn't you give a shit about it? And why did you lie to me? Why did you behave like this with your Angel Veronica?"

Milano stiffened in the chair. He stopped typing on his tablet, still not believing this situation. He didn't know what to say to his brother because Lucenzo was right. Milano acted like a selfish and apathetic man. He often noticed that Veronica didn't answer him when he asked what she ate and rarely talked to him. But he was afraid to push her because he wanted tranquility for his Amazon and their child.