Chapter Seventeen

I stumble into the kitchen, grabbing a cup and filling it with water to wash out the taste of vomit from my mouth.
Morona grumbles as she grabs her own glass, leaning her head over the sink, gagging at the taste in her mouth.
"It happened to you too", I moan, stating the fact most obvious to me. "Ahh, I feel like shit."
"This might actaully be the day when I consider making myself my own victim."
"Come on. Let's just curl up on the couch until Mom gets out of the shower", I sigh. "Then she can figure out what went wrong."
"Don't make me move", she whines. "I'll vomit again if I do."
I sigh. "Nooaah!", I yell. "We need heellp!"
"Coming!"
We listen to the sound of his footsteps as he runs down the stairs, taking in the sight of us, miserable and drenched in sweat.
"What happened?", he sighs.
"We threw up", Morona answers grumpily. "I can't move or I'll barf again. Help me."
Noah frowns, but loops her arms around his neck, lifting her up by the waist and helping her to the living room. I follow them, pulling a stack of fuzzy blankets off of a shelf and collapse beside Morona on the couch, wordlessly handing over one of the blankets as we curl up next each other, my head on her shoulder as Noah goes back to the kitchen.
"Can I kill your mom?"
"No. You can kill my dad. Jake is mine to kill."
"Awwwwww."
"I'd punch you in the face if I didn't feel so bad", I moan. "Noah, what the hell are you doing?"
He pokes his head out and answers, "I'm making soup. It's good for when you're sick."
"I'm not sick!", Morona calls. "Shut up before I kill you!"
Noah laughs, but disappears back into the other room, humming to himself.
"What's going on?", Gemma asks from the stairs. "If you kill my boyfriend-"
"Relax honeybun", Morona interrupts, sounding bored. "I would probably never kill your boyfriend."
"Probably?!"
"Relax Raspberry!", Noah calls to Gemma. "Go easy on them; the concoction didn't work."
"Here's what I'm wondering", she says to me, walking over and sitting on the floor by my feet. "It's been a few days and you haven't gone crazy wanting to feed at all."
"I killed so much in New York", I say hoarsely, dipping my head in shame. "I think it will be gone for another day or two."
"And you, Morona-?"
"I kill everyday anyway. Fun times."
"You're a psychopath", Gemma shoots back, punching Morona's leg. "No wonder Kratos-"
"Keep talking and I'll strangle you, urge or no urge", she snaps, an unfamiliar fury written in the dark brown depths of her eyes, sitting up straight and making me fall onto the floor beside Gemma. "Never taunt me with that. Even I have a snapping point."
"Who's Kratos?", Noah asks, coming back over with two bowls of soup, handing one to me. Morona scowls at him, but takes the food, glaring at his girlfriend with murderous eyes.
"I'm curious too", Samantha says from behind us, making me jump. "I'm guessing the first attempt was a failure." At my nod, she sighs and joins me. "You'll feel a lot better in a few days."
"Now answer the question", I say, changing the subject. "Who's Kratos?"
"It's a really long story", Morona says, looking uncomfortable.
"We have time", my mother points out. "Go ahead."
"It started before my electroshock." She has some soup, trying to stall while she pulls herself together, then sighs.
"Come on", Noah urges gently. "We won't judge."
"Kratos was a guy. That fell in love with me and helped make me into what I am today."
"How so?"
"He helped with the electroshock in the hopes that I would love him."
My mouth drops open as I stare at my friend in shock.
"What?!"