Chapter Six

"No. Just no." Noah glances from Morona, seated with her legs crossed on the floor to me, chained to a chair with cloth knotted over my mouth. "Morona, this is way too far."
"I disagree", she replies calmly, digging through the bag beside her. "And it isn't your decision anymore. She's my prisoner, not yours."
"She's not anyone's prisoner!", he exclaims. "Where's the key?"
"What key?"
"The key to unlock the chains!"
"Gone", the woman shrugs. "I flushed that down the toilet ages ago."
He narrows his eyes, trying to decide if Morona is serious. After a moment, the man groans, rubbing his chin with one hand.
"Please say that was a joke."
"Nope", she grins, pulling out a box, a new phone displayed in the clear plastic. "Finally, I can play my games."
Noah groans again and walks over to me, carefully untying the fabric and tossing it aside.
"Are you okay?"
I clear my throat, trying not to gag. "Yeah."
"Do you know if she really did get rid of the key?", he asks, lowering his voice so only I can hear.
I roll my eyes. "She put it in her bra."
"Then I can't do anything", he sighs. "Sorry."
I shrug, the metal rattling as I move. "I'll be okay, I guess."
"I'll get you out as soon as I can."
I look over at Morona, furiously tapping on the screen of her new phone, biting her lip and jerking around as she plays her game.
"At least she's not killing me", I chuckle. "But being a prisoner is boring."
"Was it before?"
"Hmmmm?"
"Was being a prisoner boring, you know, before?"
I frown, thinking about it the question as I struggle to remember. "It wasn't boring", I say finally. "It was terrifying. Waking up in a strange bed next to a stranger, naked can't be classified as boring."
His eyes widen. "Did he?-"
"Not until after I discovered that pretty much the last two years were a lie."
"I'm so sorry, I didn't know."
"It's fine. Someday I'll get my revenge", I sigh. "Someday soon."
"What do you mean?", Noah asks.
"Nothing. Did you get a book or something?"
"Can you read it if you're chained up?"
I move my arms a little from where they are at my sides. "Yeah. I think so."
He nods and takes the paper bag from Morona, digging through it until he pulls out the paperback book, gently setting it in my lap.
"Thanks, Noah."
"Sure you'll be okay?"
I raise an eyebrow as I open the book, watching the man in my peripheral vision as he walks up the basement steps.
-------
"Why are you so obsessed with that phone?", I ask Morona, watching her jab at the screen with her finger. "Good God."
"Games are fun", she says defensively. "And stop bothering me before I gag you again."
I roll my eyes but shut my mouth, returning my gaze down to the book.
"Great. Now I'm bored." She stands up, tucking the device into her pocket. "Thanks for distracting me."
"Mmhmmm."
"And to get my revenge, I shall have to hurt you."
"What?!" My head snaps up, and my eyes widen in panic as the woman gags me again.
I watch her dig into the grocery bag again, pulling out the small pocket knife, flicking the blade open.
"I'm sorry about this", Morona says. "They promised to give me more chances to kill. I really did like you."
I want to ask what the hell she's talking about, but she plunges the metal into my shoulder, making me scream into the thick cloth as warm sticky blood pools down my arm.
I moan as the voice starts talking, as the pain gets worse and as the door to the basement quietly opens.
"Hello, Cupcake."
-------
PLOT TWIST!!!!! Yay!
Love you guys!
- Elise