Chapter Twelve

"So, you- you don't remember me?", my mother asks quietly, her eyes filling up with tears.
"I remember being in the hospital", I say softly. "I think I broke my leg. I was four. You were there."
"Yes", she breathes. "You fell out of a tree. You didn't want me to leave you."
"I don't understand what happened to you", I say, changing the subject. "I thought you were dead."
She sighs. "That's what your father wanted you to think. He made it seem like I was murdered, then brought me here. I haven't left since, and I don't even understand why I'm alive."
"Theresa." I stiffen at the sound of Jake's voice behind me, crying out as he grabs the back of my shirt collar, using it to yank me to my feet. "I thought I told you to leave our dear Samantha alone."
"You said 'don't kill her'", I rasp, struggling to breathe. "I didn't kill her."
His hand grips my hair, pulling on the dark strands to make me face him. "Don't talk back to me", the man growls. "Or I might decide to give you a little more electroshock."
"Six months ago you said another session would kill me", I hiss. "And we both know I'm more use to you alive."
"Oh no, not that much voltage", he sighs. "Just enough to remind you who's in charge here."
I gulp, my shoulders drooping as I lower my gaze to the floor, nodding my head as I give in.
"Good girl. I assume by now you know where your room is."
"Yes", I answer quietly.
"Then go there", he commands. "Adara will meet you there. I will know if you take any detours so don't try any. Understand?"
Again, I nod, casting one more glance back at my mother.
I'm sorry, I mouth before doing as I'm told, slowly walking out of the Feeding Room and into the hallway.
I drag my feet for a while on the floor, but the cold cement quickly gets to me so I speed up slightly, shuffling along in my blood spattered clothes, wincing as I hear a high pitched scream.
Instead of turning around and running back, I keep my head down, continuing on my way to hell.
Jake's wife sighs when I enter my 'cell', casually pointing her gun at my head.
The barrel jerks to the left and I obey the silent order, walking lightly to the corner of the room and sitting cross-legged on the padded floor, keeping my head bowed, gazing at my lap as I settle in to wait.
The only thing I can hear is the sound of my heartbeat, pumping frantically inside my chest in fear.
After around five minutes of waiting, Jake enters the room, not looking at me as he whispers something into Adara's ear, who nods and hands over her weapon before leaving us alone.
"You may think you found a loophole in my command", he says to me. "But you haven't. Just because you do as I say, doesn't make you any less a prisoner. Are we clear?"
I remain still, tense, eyes shut as Jake waits for me to respond.
Suddenly, his hand yanks my chin up and I whimper, my eyelids opening as Jake's eyes bore into mine.
"Are we clear?", he repeats, pressing the pistol into my temple. "Answer me."
"Crystal", I mutter under my breath.
"I don't think it is", the man says sternly. "Which is why I think you need a reminder to what happens when you do something wrong."
My eyes get wide as Adara enters the room again, dragging a metal chair to the center of the room.
I let out an anguished cry as Jake forces me to my feet, holding me back as I try to run, my eyes falling on the device in the woman's hand.
"No!", I scream, thrashing around in Jake's grip. "No! Please don't do this! Please!"
He ignores me as I'm shoved into the seat and held in place as Adara ties the rope around my wrists.
The headphones go over my ears and white hot pain fills my entire body, making it jerk around without my free will.
I cry, my shrieks ignored as I see Jake slowly turn up the dial.
"STOP!" Over the sound of my own screams, I can hear a gun cock.
From behind my captor, two familiar faces glare at Jake and his wife.
In spite of my pain, a small smile crosses my face.
My friends are here.