Chapter 9

Lilac's POV

I was off to my final class finally.

"Okay so I found a perfect dress for tonight. It's really pretty!"

"Aw! That's so pretty!"

She showed me the dress on her phone. She squealed and slightly jumped. "Hey, are you feeling better than yesterday?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Yeah." I think of what Will said to me. He said he loved me.

But.

I stop in my tracks.

"Oh." Aria froze. "Do you wanna take the longer way?"

I nod, no. "It doesn't matter. It's- it's not like I care. If he wants to make out with Courtney then fine! I don't care!" I ended up shouting and got people look at me, shocked. "Uh sorry everyone."

I rush ahead with Aria tailing me and went straight ahead of Will. My heart hurt and I felt the urge to cry.

I now know he lied to me. If he loved me, he wouldn't have hurt me.

I enter the room with the most fake smile ever.

I glance at Owen who smiled at me. I smiled back slightly.

"Ooo! Lilac."

I turn around to see Courtney grab onto Will in front of me.

"He's mine now!" Courtney grabbed him and kiss him, desperately.

I felt like I wanted to fight her. But at the same time, cry. But at the same time, scream at Will.

She left him to sit down and Will stared at me breathless.

"Are you okay?"

My vision blurred and my heart dropped. I looked away. I didn't want to tell him that I was hurt. Or show him that I'm crying.

"I'm fine" I said shyly.

"Ok, Lilac Austin."

He left me standing in the middle of the room. I'm so stupid..

I don't know how, but a wave up desperateness washed over me.

One moment, I was staring into blank space, then the next moment, I'm grabbing on to Owen, kissing him.

What am I doing?!

He embrace me in his arms and smiled. I let go, dazed and confused by what I just did.

He stopped smiling and furrowed his eyebrows. "Why did you just kiss me?" He smirked and laughed softly.

"I. Uh-" I could not speak at all.

He cupped my face gently and kissed my forehead.

What if I was wrong? What if I kissed Owen because my heart waned him? Not Will. My heart still ached, though.

I don't know how to explain my actions.

~*~

"Excuse me, what!" Nina shouted out.

I cupped her mouth. "Shut up!"

"You said in front of class so everyone would know my now!" She ripped my hand off her mouth and laughed. "How did Will react?"

"I don't really know. And I don't care!"

"Okay fine." She helped her arms up in defeat. "Where's Aria, by the way?"

I shrugged.

"And Landon?"

"How would I know?"

"He's your brother duh!" She rolled her eyes at me.

"Let's go find them."

"Why?"

"Because I see Will making out with Courtney and I want us to get out of here quickly."

I caught a quick glance of Will and immediately wanted to die. I got pulled out the lunch room.

"Come on! Don't mope because of him!" Nina hugged me.

"I- I just can't. He lied to me." I cried in her shoulder.

"Come on. You should be crying over Will because I know you're strong."

"No I'm not." I wiped a tear. "I really am hopeless."

"No you're not." An arm wrapped around my waist and I jerked. "Nathalina is right. Crying over Will is pointless." Owen held me tight against his chest. I hugged him back and I heard his heartbeat go faster.

I smiled because I knew I made him nervous.

"You're possibly one of the most bravest person I've ever known." He cupped my face gently and cleared my face.

"Th-thank you." I felt my legs shake.

"Yeah thanks. We should go find Aria and Landon as a distraction from what just happened today." She pulled me from Owen who just stood there smiling at me.

"He seems to like you a lot."

I don't say anything, but felt my face turn bright red.

"We should check the side hallways." Nina shrugged and turned right.

"I haven't been here." This school is actually really big. There are a lot of places I've never been to.

"Well, this hallway is like the after school stuff, like I don't know, robotics?" She snorted.

We heard someone laugh. It sounded like Ari, actually.

"Found her!" Nina yelled out.

We saw Aria head in the hallway while she held hands with.. wait. What. My dear brother!

"What." That's all I could say. I wanted to say oh my gosh wow! I'm so happy for you two! But I stood there, shocked.

"Makes sense." Nina shrugged. "They both were missing. They always stare at each other. Landon asked her to accompany him to the ball tonight. A bunch of stuff."

Landon stared at me nervously.

"How long?"

"What?" Aria stared at me, neutralizing. "Oh! About a day." She smiled up to Landon.

"Wow! I'm happy for you two!"

And I was really happy! Seeing my brother find a better girlfriend than his last ones makes me super happy.

~*~

Tonight is the ball. Let's see how this goes.

~*~*~*~