Chapter Sixty-Four

Zacznij od początku

With a screech, Meredith knew Rachel had finally let the bouquet go. Her green eyes didn't even come up as the bride's bouquet landed in Meredith's hands. "Nope." Meredith tossed it to Chloe.

"I don't want it." Chloe shoved it back to Meredith.

"Take it." She pushed the bouquet back to her friend.

"No." Chloe thrusted it back.

"You." Meredith propelled it forward, hitting Chloe in the chest.

Chloe was left unimpressed. "You're the one who has a boyfriend." She drove the beautiful bouquet back.

"I broke up with him." Meredith forced it back.

"No, you didn't." Chloe rammed it into her tall friend.

"Take it," Meredith pleaded, knocking it back to her friend.

"No."

Meredith stepped back, and the bouquet fell to their feet. Both of the girls looked to the rest of the barn, which all stared at her. Rachel stood on top of the platform with her arms crossed, judging her friends, but too late, the world already judged them.

"Walk away." Meredith steered Chloe away from the dance floor.

"Smooth," Chloe muttered.

Meredith rolled her eyes so hard that she almost gave herself a stroke. "I need a drink."

"I'm sensing that's going to be your life motto," Chloe responded.

Meredith shrugged because Chloe probably wasn't wrong.

A few minutes later after some single ladies, who hadn't put their hands up high enough, had stopped fighting over the fallen bouquet, Rachel walked over to her friends, who were constantly stationed at the bar. "So what happened there?" Rachel asked.

"We're both really bad at catching," Chloe offered.

"We were playing hot potato," Meredith suggested. "We were confused by the bouquet toss. We thought it was supposed to be more of a throw, like you try to pelt someone with it."

Rachel scoffed. "Are you enjoying the reception?"

"Would I be a bitch if I said no?" Meredith asked with a smile.

Rachel knew her friend only joked. "You're always by the bar."

"Mer has a drinking problem," Chloe said. Meredith was about to slap her.

"That's why we got vodka for her," Rachel kidded.

Meredith didn't think she could roll her eyes any harder, especially after earlier, but apparently it was possible. Her head began to hurt. "You're super pretty, Rach. You're putting everyone to shame."

Rachel blushed. "What's that thing you said before, Mer? Learn your place, and it's below me."

"Actually that's Joe's job tonight," Meredith responded, which Rachel promptly elbowed her friend in the gut.

"Not in front of the grandparents."

"I don't think they can hear me, but I can yell it if you like."

"Don't you dare," Rachel laughed.

"I'm off to the toilet. Rach, make sure Meredith doesn't die while I'm gone." Walking away, Chloe shifted through the people, who all stood a foot taller than her. Rachel and Meredith watched her go.

Her eyes traveled to her husband, who waved at her from across the barn. "Do you mind?"

"You leaving me for your husband? How dare you?" Meredith mocked. "Just go already." She held up her glass of vodka mixed with juice. "Be happy."

Before Rachel left, she pulled Meredith into a hug, where she stood rigid and tall. After a few seconds, she relaxed, giving her friend a hug back. It was always odd to Meredith to hug someone so small, but Rachel was used to giants. Pulling back, Rachel smiled at her Scotland friend.

"Mer, when you travel the world and you're with Harry, and you're doing all those amazing things. When you're being great because you're you," Rachel said. "Don't forget to be happy."

Meredith laughed hollowly. "I'm always happy."

Rachel didn't believe her. "It's not worth it to please the world, so don't. Don't act like how they want-- how anyone wants. People will love you for you because you are magic and majestic."

A red flush climbed up her neck. "It's your wedding. I should be saying these things to you."

"I'm not the one who needs them." Rachel gave her friend one last look. "I love you."

"I love you too."

With a smile, Rachel ran off with her husband. Sighing, Meredith stood alone and took another gulp of her vodka. In a few years, this was her future. For better or for worse, Meredith wanted to marry Harry. For better or for worse, somehow he had to get her down the aisle.

*************************

We're going to be speeding up a bit. I know you want (or at least some of you), but I'm doing this for a reason. At least there will be more Harry and Meredith.