36 - Make Amends

NOONIE WAS THRILLED. After being given a fabulous makeover by the Ghetto Barbies, she had tried to keep up the look despite Vita being so displeased with it. She bathed in the bed of pink clothes as though it were a dream come true. "I can't believe you're giving me all of your clothes!" she said in disbelief.

Bunny leaned on the doorpost of Noonie's room, making a mental note to herself to never return to the hood again. She had almost gotten robbed on the way over. "Just the pink ones," she said.

Noonie held up one Bunny's pink blouses in the mirror, trying to picture how she would look with it on. "I think this is the real me," she said. "Who I was meant to be. I know Vita is gonna be upset about it, but after what she did to you, I don't even know if I can mess with her anymore."

Bunny threw her arms up. She was tired of hearing about the explosion that had occurred at the Barbie Reunion. The video had gone viral. The girls were even offered a reality show, but after what they all had been though, none of them were prepared to make any more of their private lives available to the media. Besides, none of their parents would have allowed a shark to pull these girls out of school to become a part of the dangerous game of Hollywood. Bunny had already tasted the sweetness of fame enough to know how bitter it truly was. "Your relationship with Vita is just that. If you can find it in your heart to forgive her, please do. Just promise me one thing."

Noonie looked up at her in confusion. "What's that?"

"Don't ever become a Ghetto Barbie."

Noonie looked down at the pink shirt and frowned. "I wasn't planning on doing that."

With Bunny's stepping down and no other Barbie left, she was technically in charge of picking the next Head Barbie. No one had yet to take on the challenge. It had gone from being a close-knit sisterhood to an infestation that nobody wanted to be a part of.

"Admit it, Noonie, you were thinking about pledging."

Noonie pouted. "Maybe."

"I'm telling you, it will be the worst mistake of your life."

Noonie took one long look at her in her olive green shirt and denim jeans. "It's kind of crazy not seeing you in pink. It's like you're a new person or something."

Bunny smiled. "I am in a way. So much has happened over the last two years. I was either trying to please the Head Barbie or trying to be the Head Barbie and when I finally got it, I still wasn't satisfied. I played two guys who cared about me because I was too hungry for a power grab." She stood by Noonie and looked at her reflection in the mirror. "Noonie, it doesn't matter if we're talking about the Barbies or the Gamines. A name is just a name. At the end of the day, you had better be close to those girls you call your sisters. If you left the Gamines, would Vita and Jazz support you?" It got Noonie thinking. "I should get going." Bunny walked to the front door, waving to Noonie's mother as Noonie followed behind. "Think about what I've said, okay?"

Noonie nodded. Bunny made her way to the nearest bus stop and hopped on the next one that came. She had spent the entire weekend making amends with those she had hurt. Some were forgiving and others would never forget. She couldn't let that stop her from moving on with her life. Some people were going to continue to hate her. Having her reputation ruined over a little high school drama was a blessing in disguise. Now, she had the common sense to focus on what was truly important.

She clocked into her job at Lucy's Diner to find an unexpected surprise. The waiters, waitresses, and cooks were clapping for her as she entered. Thank God the restaurant had yet to open or she would have been embarrassed. Lucy came forth and bombarded her with a hug. Bunny squirmed in her wrinkled grasp. "Congratulations, Bunny, you've been promoted to assistant manager!"