33 - Cry, Baby

"ALL GOOD THINGS MUST COME TO AN END," Tammy told herself as she looked in the mirror. All mediocre things should have never been bred in the first place. The Barbie curse was finally removed from her life and all she wanted to do was move on.

She and Greg were going on their first double date with Ally and Max, and all Tammy hoped was that they could get through a romantic evening without having to dig up the past. What had happened was tragic and had left a lingering air of judgment wherever they went, but as long as they were over it, they didn't have the care or concern to wait for everyone else to get with the program.

As much as she loved the idea of love, this little love fest that Ally and Max had been rekindling over the past few days had her wanting to gag. As long as he was treating her right was all that mattered. She believed wholeheartedly that he had good intentions for proving himself. Now that he was no longer under Bunny's hex, he was free to find real love that loved him back. For months, she had imagined her and Kim kicking it with their boyfriends without worry or fear of who was betraying them or plotting behind their backs. Now the image she had painted was just a little different, with Ally and Max paired with her and Greg but it was a masterpiece all the same.

Tammy traveled down the steps in her going out outfit, a pair of tight jeans, a blue cap-sleeved top, and a black satin bomber jacket. Ma instantly frowned when she took note of Tammy. Tammy spotted the brown purse hanging from her shoulder. "Honey, I sure do hope you're not fixing to go out tonight."

Tammy smiled through gritted teeth. "I was planning to, Ma. What's up?"

"I have many important errands to run. I need you to watch Shiloh."

Tammy rolled her eyes hard. "Ma!"

"I'm sorry, Tammy, but you're just gonna have to cancel."

Tammy pouted and slumped over the side of the couch where Shiloh's crib stood. She clapped and giggled as though Tammy's intent was to entertain her. "I left supper on the stove for you and Timmy. I'll be back in a few hours," Ma said as she closed the door behind her. Tammy stuck her tongue out, then got up from the couch and lightly kicked Shiloh's crib on the way back to the stairs. Upon approaching her room, she reached for the phone on her bed. "So unfair," she said to herself as she listened to Greg's voicemail. "Greg, please call me back when you get this. I'm gonna have to cancel our date tonight." She hung up and then called Ally next.

"You ready?" she said with a cheeriness in her tone. Her happiness made Tammy even more unhappy.

"Change of plans. Ma stuck me at the house with Shiloh."

Ally scoffed. "Well, that's just plain inconsiderate."

"Tell me about it. You go out with Max and have a good time. We'll just reschedule for next weekend."

Tammy quickly got off the phone and slipped back into some comfy sweats, bringing her cell with her as she traveled back down the stairs. Having to watch bratty younger siblings wasn't uncommon, but it was entirely different when one of those siblings is a secret she had been trying to keep.

Tammy peered into the crib, mean mugging Shiloh's beaming smile. "You've ruined my life, you know that?" Shiloh just kept on giggling. She was too happy of a thing to be such a burden. "Everything in my life would be perfect if I didn't have to worry about everybody finding out about you." Shiloh reached both her tiny hands up as far as she could. Tammy stared at her for a few moments and then hung her elbow off the edge, allowing her finger to dangle just above the tips of Shiloh's fingers. She stretched and stretched with all her might, giving Tammy satisfaction. "You're so needy, you know that? You just won't be happy until you've got everybody's full attention." Shiloh finally caught her finger and held on for dear life. Tammy took note of how small she was, even just shy of her first birthday. "The only reason why you're cute is because you take after me." Shiloh sent her a smile that she hated to admit warmed her heart. She was a beautiful baby girl, and maybe that's what made Tammy so guilty—the fact that if only she had brought this beautiful bundle of joy into the world years down the line after the right man had come along and put a ring on her finger, she would have been proud of this gift and couldn't have possibly seen her as a curse.