11 - Change It

BUNNY HATED P.E. The worst place for a Barbie to be was underneath the hot sun, perspiring pools in the dirt. Dirt that would eventually appear on her face if she slipped and fell. Thank God for being natural, otherwise, her edges would have been suffering. What annoyed her, even more, was that the boys were just basking in it, slipping and sliding to each base, becoming one with the dust. She spotted too many frosted knees and elbows to function. Ash galore. Thankfully, they had moved on from tennis but she hadn't realized that baseball would be next on their curriculum.

Partaking in such a dirty sport didn't mean that being fresh and clean was out of the question. Lip gloss was still popping. Nail polish was so resilient that not even the tightest grip on a baseball bat could destroy it. As far as her uniform as concerned, it may have been the only time that Bunny couldn't be in full-fledged pink. Still, she represented her Barbies to the fullest by rocking sweats that accented her high and round assets just perfectly with a tank top that cut two inches above her belly button. Mr. Moore wouldn't dare say a word about it because then he would have to admit that he had been checking out a student. Unless he wanted the principal to get wind of it, he could keep averting his eyes the other way and pretend like he didn't see it.

Bunny and the rest of the girls stood behind the gate, hoping that at least two more of the boys would strike out before they got their chance to bat. She heard someone less that subtly clear her throat behind her but didn't actually turn around until the third time. Vita's large, crooked smile hovered above her head. "You know Max is looking at you again, don't you?"

Bunny threw her head down and laughed. These girls were so pitiful. They had no idea what it felt like to be a fabulous Barbie who garnered attention from every boy that stood in her presence. It was an everyday thing for her. "Isn't he always?"

Vita pursed her lips. "Girl, you're tripping." The rest of the girls exchanged nods of agreement. The boys were not here for the girl talk. "When a man that fine looks your way, you look back."

Bunny shrugged her shoulders loosely. "Not when a man that fine looks at a taken woman whose man is even finer than him."

That sent gossiping through to the back of the line. "I don't get it, Bunny. I know that you and Xavier are still going strong and whatnot, but what's wrong with having a backup? At least, get his digits or something in case your number one falls through."

"I've got Max's number," Bunny replied blandly. "We've been cool since middle school. If I wanted to use it, I would have. Besides, I'm not trying to mess around on my baby like that. When you know you've got a good thing, you won't want for anything else." Her mind went straight to Greg. She felt anger in knowing that he and Tammy just might turn into a thing.

Although Bunny had been consumed by her own selfishness as of late, she had actually had genuine intentions for making Tammy over. She was once nothing but a clueless country bumpkin until Bunny brightened up her life with a taste of California sunshine. Not far from the red carpets of Hollywood, Cali girls felt the pressures of being perfect. They didn't have the wardrobe stylists, hair and makeup teams, and plastic surgeons like the celebrities, but that didn't make the pressure any less. Tammy had blossomed under her care, but Bunny would have never imagined in one hundred years that her efforts would have helped her to land Greg. Bunny hadn't even been able to land Greg with the improvements she had made to herself.

She had figured Greg to be bored with the Barbie type. He had never dated one before, so she had always assumed that it wasn't in his interest to have one. Somehow, Tammy had him changing his mind. He had gone from the sleek and sophisticated type to the sassy, blondes have more fun type. Something about Tammy peeked his interest, and Bunny had to find out why. Was it the green-eyed thing? If so, then Bunny had no chance. She wasn't about to pop in a pair of green contacts every day just to keep up. Surely it wasn't her shy, southern girl demeanor. Greg only went after girls who were bold enough to go after him. Tammy had become such a hot commodity that even the Valley Girls were trying to get her on their team. Whatever the reason, Bunny was going to have to throw it in the back of her mind and focus on what was important. The Head Barbie title. If she continued to let this get the best of her, it would put her in Tammy at odds, causing major setbacks.