Chapter Two

----- Annalise -----

My hands shook as I placed another book on the elevated shelves. The library was quiet today, but it was only nine am, and there was a planned reading by Luna Alexa for the kindergarten kids at half nine. I smiled slightly, I enjoyed it when Luna Alexa came to visit us for whatever reason, she was so friendly, despite being an Omega she made me feel so welcome.

It was just me working in the library today, the other volunteer librarian, Liam, was off ill, but I could handle the workload... and it's not like we were over run with visitors.

I looked back at the book returns trolley, reaching for the last book, but stopped, when I saw what it was. It was one of our more... mature books, and as such it had pride of place on the highest shelf, far too high for any of the children to reach... and myself for that matter.

I was only five foot four, and stretching my arms to the point of dislocation was not helping to reach it anymore than standing on my tip toes was.

"Come on you..." I mumbled, standing on the bottom shelf to try and gain those last few inches.

All of a sudden, I felt the shelf beneath my feet give way, my arms flailing backwards in a desperate attempt to right myself before I fell straight on my...

Before my body even had the chance to begin it's embarrassing and painful descent, I felt a pair of arms wrap themselves around me, and move me back to being upright again. I was flustered... what the hell happened there?

I looked down at my waist, where a pair of muscle bound, hair covered arms were still hanging on tightly, but comfortably. I glanced up, worried about who I would see looking back at me.

But, much to both my pleasure and shock, I saw Ethan standing beside me. The future Alpha of my pack had saved me from potentially having a concussion, and from making a complete tool out of myself.

I went bright red, and quickly scrambled away from him, almost missing the reluctance with which he let me go.

"I... I'm so sorry Eth... I mean Alpha Ethan..." I mumbled, stuttering incoherently. He nodded, not saying a word, which just made the blushing on my face even worse.

"Oh! Good morning Anna!" I heard another voice shout, and this time, I blushed to the point where I thought I might become a tomato. Luna Alexa walked through the large wooden doors towards us, her usual bright smile on her beautiful face. "You on your own today?"

I nodded, "Yes, Liam's not in today, he's not feeling well. I can handle it today though."

"Oh no, that's a shame, you'll have to go visit him later, see how he is," Alexa suggested.

Before I could answer, a low growl sounded from beside me, and I looked up in confusion at Ethan. He looked non plus about the whole thing, but I could see barely restrained anger in his gorgeous hazel eyes.

"I decided to get here early I'm afraid, I wanted chance to set up and Ethan wanted to drive me in, that's not a problem is it?" Alexa asked, worry staining her features.

"No! No of course not Luna!" I cried out, not wanting to offend her. "Go right ahead, I'll just be out back if you need me." She nodded, smiling once more, and I quickly ran out into the back office, away from the awkward situation... and Ethan...

I collapsed into the desk chair, and leaned my head back, panting. I made such a fool out of myself in front of him! I've been in love with Ethan for as long as I could remember, but he's always hated me for some reason.

We first met when I was nine years old, and he was eleven...

----- Flashback -----

I stood in line with the other kids, as the Alpha walked past us, smiling slightly with the pretty Luna by his side. He was visiting the school as part of a tour of the pack, something he liked to do each year. Being an Omega, I was to stand at the end of the line, the Beta's and other pack members way ahead at the front, they wanted to be the first people he saw. Everyone was so desperate to please the Alpha, he made everyone want to be better pack members, and I was one of them. We were all dressed in our best dresses, the other, prettier girls wearing their best white and yellow dresses, while I was in the deepest red dress ever seen by anyone. Mum and dad couldn't afford the prettier dresses, and the only material mum had was this red one. It was a really pretty dress, but it was no where near what the other girls had.