Chapter 12: Home

Comincia dall'inizio

Looking away from the room I'm in, I turn my attention to my skin, which is now scrubbed clean and is spotless besides the few bruises I don't remember getting. I notice I'm in clean clothing as well-a simple gown that's thin and light.

"You're finally awake, I see."

I jolt at the sound of a calm voice, immediately regretting it as a sharp pain runs up my neck. After a second of keeping still to let the pain fade I look in the direction I heard the voice, and find Dr. Meyers smiling softly at me.

"You've been out for quite a while," She informs, "although I can see why. You were moving for what, five, six hours?"

'How long have I been out?' I sign slowly, hoping she'll remember the little bit I've taught her.

"Um, you just asked how long you were asleep, right?" She questions, and I can see the hope in her eyes. I nod, and her face breaks out into a smile. "You've been asleep for about twelve hours, give or take."

I blink, surprised that's all I slept considering how tired I was. But I just nod in reply, still feeling an ache in my entire body. But strangely my thoughts aren't on my pain. My still somewhat foggy mind has wondered enough place its thought on one person in particular.

Sam.

I remember him talking to me just before I passed out, but the memory is so blurry I can't make anything out, except one word...

Home.

He said I was home, but... was this place my home? I don't-or didn't think I'd ever have a 'home'. Yes, there would be a place I stayed and took shelter but a 'home'? No, that thought is just that-a thought. I can't have a home. I don't have a home...

Not yet, anyway.

I have mixed feelings on that thought.

"You're very lucky, Runner Five, to come back with no bites after being out for so long. Although you're going to have to let your neck and shoulders heal a bit before you can go running. There's been some muscle strain, which is lucky in your case, but we don't want to cause anything to tear." Dr. Meyers says, frowning when she sees my unfocused state. "Is everything alright?"

I nod, now giving away some of my attention to her to calm my raging mind. But still I can't help but wonder where he is now, and if anyone else has come to visit me.

"You're thinking about Sam, aren't you?"

My eyes snap up to meet her gaze and I clench and unclench my fingers as she smirks. How does she-

"Caleb helps me out at the hospital," She laughs, answering my unasked question. I glare at her, and she giggles even more before pulling back the makeshift curtain, revealing a sleeping, messy-haired Sam.

"I had to give him something to actually get him to sleep," Dr. Meyers muses. "He swore up and down he wouldn't rest until you woke up. I assured him you were okay but... I had to slip in a Melatonin packet into his drink when he wasn't looking. He'll be happy to see you're awake though."

My lips twitch at that, but I force back the smile. If the doctor sees my expression I'm sure she'd tell it to Caleb, and his teasing is not something I need to hear right now.