Chapter 36

Kellin's POV

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Vic asked cautiously, rubbing my back.

"Yeah I'm sure" I replied "If I want to move on with my life then this is something I need to do."

"You're such an amazing person Kells, the bravest I've ever met." Vic said, his voice filled with love and care.

"And you're the most kind and loving." I told him, pressing my lips against his.

"I don't know how I could have done any of this without you," I said, speaking my mind. "I don't even think I would be here. You're my saviour."

He reached up and caressed my cheek with his thumb as he pulled me towards him.

"You're so beautiful"

His lips touched mine gently and we shared a moment. A moment of love. A moment of bliss. A moment of what was yet to come.

The kiss was gentle and sweet not hungry or lust driven and it fit the moment perfectly.

It was almost like reassurance.

"It's time to go." I spoke softly, Vic nodding in understanding.

We made our way to the car and the journey was silent. Vic's hand rested lovingly on my knee the whole drive and it made me slightly less nervous.

We arrived outside the house and it was nicer than I'd expected. It wasn't small, but it wasn't large either. It looked, homely.

A well tended to garden and children's toys paved the way to the front door.

My hands were starting to become clammy and I was feeling a little sick. I reached out and grabbed Vic's hand who took it and laced our fingers together. He gave it a squeeze and I walked up towards the front door.

Hastily, I lifted my fist and knocked 3 times on the front door. Enough times to be heard but not enough to come off as annoying or eager.

The wait was agonising but after about 20 seconds, the shadow of someone appeared behind the glass of the door.

I heard the click of the lock and looked up at the now open door.

"Kellin! I'm so happy you called!" The person spoke in an extremely happy tone.

I managed to muster up a small smile despite my anxiety.

"Hi Dad"

"And who's this?" He asked, directing his question at Vic.

"This is Vic, my boyfriend" I said calmly, lifting up our interlocked fingers.

I braced myself for the homophobic comments and slurs just like my mother had used my entire life.

"How lovely! I'm so happy for you!" He replied cheerily and my eyes nearly popped out of my head.

"Y-you're o-okay with this?" I asked in shock.

"Of course son! Don't you remember my brother, you're Uncle Tom? He was gay and I loved him with all my heart.
And, just between us three, I experimented a little as a teen." He chuckled.

I heard Vic laugh behind me and I felt as though a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I felt a smile make its way onto my face and suddenly, the whole 'meeting my new family' thing didn't seem so daunting.

"Well don't just stand there son, come in!" He called, waving us into the house.

I walked in and saw everything I never had. A bright happy home. Pictures of the family covering the walls, the smell of baking filling the air and laundry around the place. It wasn't all 'neat and tidy' but that's because it wasn't a house, it was a home.
It was lived in and didn't need to look spotless.

"Now Kellin, I want you to meet my wife and your little sister if that's okay?" He asked.

I nodded and smiled, telling him it was alright.

He opened the door to the kitchen and I was met with who I presumed was my fathers wife.

"Kellin, this is Laura, my wife. Laura, this is my son Kellin."

She was an average height and had shoulder length, honey blonde hair and a warm smile. The complete opposite of my mother.

You could tell that she was a lovely and genuine person just by looking at her eyes. They were full of love and happiness and they almost sparkled.

"Oh my goodness Kellin!" She squealed running up to me and squashing me into a hug.

I returned the hug, breathing in her scent of baking and some type of perfume.

"I've heard so much about you, it's so nice to meet you! Make yourself at home sweetie, you're part of this family now."

I felt tears well up in my eyes. I never in a million years expected this.
"T-thank you so m-much" I choked out.

Just at that moment, a small girl, probably not over the age of 6, ran into the kitchen with a doll in her hand.

She looked up at me with wide eyes and started to speak to herself.

"Long black hair, very large eyes, prominent cheekbones, just like the pictures" She muttered "Hello! From what I can tell you're my brother! But if I'm not I'm really sorry!"

She giggled and sat on the floor starting to play with her doll.

I choked on the water that Laura had given me a few minutes prior and looked up at my father with wide eyes.

"That's my girl" he chuckled, patting her head.

"She has an extremely high intelligence level," Laura explained. "She's years above her age but she has a hard time recognising people. She uses facial features and body structure to work out who people are."

"She's currently being tested for Prosopagnosia which is also known as face blindness" My father added "But that doesn't take away anything from her amazing personality. She's the most kind, caring and adventurous little girl and I hope you'll get along well! "

"I'm sure we will" I replied genuinely. I already loved this little girl. I was overwhelmed with happiness.

My father.

Laura.

Kailey.

Vic.

I felt like I'd lost my old family, but gained one 10x better. I felt at home.

----------------------------------------------

Hey guys! I told you I'd update again soon :) I really like how this chapter turned out and another will be up soon!

What do you think of Kailey's character? I wanted to add something interesting about her and I think this ticks that box :) She'll be featured more in the next chapter.

If you want to know more about Prosopagnosia, I highly recommend reading 'Holding up the Universe' By Jennifer Niven!

Xoxo