Chapter 5

I dug my fingers underneath the metal wristband that was clamped around my arm wanting nothing more than to take it off. We'd only been on the ground for a few hours and already there were fights breaking out. Clearly the council hadn't thought sending one hundred hormonal ridden teenagers to the ground was a bad idea. Wells had sprained his ankle in a fight and people were throwing the term "Chancellor of Earth" around quicker than you could imagine.

"Addy? Is that you?" A voice asked. My head lifted up, I recognized that voice! I lifted my head up and locked eyes with my old neighbor and best friend John Murphy. He darted forward and pulled me into a hug.

"I thought you'd have been floated by now." He mumbled into my shoulder.

"Nope another month and I'd be dead. Guess I got lucky." I replied.

Age 7
"Murphy slow done!" I squealed. My hands clung to his shoulders as a raced down the hallway to where our homes were.

"No way Addy, you bet me I wasn't strong enough to run back home with you on my back so I'm gonna prove you wrong!" He shouted back to me.

He turned his head back slightly to look at me and smiled.

I smiled back and looked up, my eyes widened when I saw the upcoming wall.

"Murphy watch out!"

*1 hour later*

"You'll live" the doctor said. "It's only broken so it'll take a few months to heal." Murphy winced when he dabbed at his bloodied nose once again.

I crept forward nervously, "I'm sorry."
"It's ok Addy it was an accident." He laughed.
"You sure?"
His arms snaked around my shoulders.
"I promise."

"I've missed you." He said to me, stepping back.

"I missed you too." I had, when he'd been locked up I felt completely isolated. I still had my mother but she wasn't one to talk to as she had just found out she had fallen pregnant again. Murphy was my only friend on the Ark and without him, I'd been left all alone. I'd lost my best friend the day he was locked away. I'd obviously visited him when he was in there but it wasn't long before I followed and was thrown into my own cell in the sky box.

"Well I think I'm gonna got and explore a bit more, you coming?" 

"I'll pass this time, I'm gonna enjoy my time in the sun a bit longer but we have to start doing work." I replied walking over to where a pile of broken tree trunks lay. I sat down, leaned back against one and closed my eyes. Relishing in the sunlight. I would never get used to the feeling of its warmth on my skin. 

"So Mount Weather, when do we leave?" A voice near me asked.

"Right now." A voice who I assumed to be Clarke's replied. "We'll be back tomorrow with food."

I zoned out of the conversation not paying anymore attention until a voice brought me out of my thoughts and a hand grabbed my wrist.

"Hey were you trying to take this off?." I opened my eyes and saw Clarke, the so called 'Princess' looking at me.

"Excuse me, but do you mind?" I snatched my wrist back.

"Were you trying to take this off?" She repeatedly sternly.

"Yeah, I was. What's it to you Blondie?" I questioned her leaning back against the log.

"This wristband transmits your vital signs to the Ark. Take it off and they'll think your dead."

I noticed now that there was a small group stood around us including the Blake siblings, "Should I care?" I asked her.

"I don't know do you want the people you love to think you're dead, do you want them to follow you down here in two months because they won't if they think we're dying." She spoke quickly, clearly getting more annoyed with me as she spoke.

"Listen here Princess." I stood up sharply, "I don't have anyone left on the Ark who loves me so before you start trying to spout your philosophical bullshit at me, maybe stop, think twice and don't. Now get out of my way." I shoved through the group and made my way over to a new spot where there was less people, ignoring the looks that I knew I was getting the people I'd just left behind me.