Chapter 4

The pounding in my head was increasing by the second. I opened my eyes and lifted up my head to see I was strapped into some kind of seat. Looking around I saw everyone else in the same position. I turned my head to the girl next to me.

"What's going on?"

Her voice was shaking when she answered, "You just missed the announcement. They're sending us back to Earth, all one hundred of us in the sky box. They said that-" She was cut off short at there was a sudden pull on the drop ship. All I could hear was screaming, I was probably screaming myself but I couldn't be sure. All I could focus on was the spiraling of the drop ship as we hurtled towards the ground. 

"The rockets should've kicked in by now!" Someone shouted.

The falling started to feel more controlled now as the sound of engines and rockets could be heard of the shouts of terror filling the ship. A thud shuddered through the drop ship as it finally landed on the ground. Everyone's seat belts clicked up and the soon began the excited chatter of what waited for us beyond the door.

"Come on, the outer doors on the lower level." The girl next to me said. 

As everyone scrambled for the ladders that led below, I allowed a small smile to cross my face. The excitement of leaving the drop ship filling my body.

Everyone struggled to fit into the bottom level and some were climbing back up the ladders to get a better view of what was outside.

There was already shouts about a girl named Octavia Blake and how she'd been hidden under the floorboards of her home. As my eyes came to rest on her face, I couldn't stop the small feelings of envy that started to creep up. I wasn't jealous of how she looked, I was jealous of how she had survived. When I looked at her hugging and talking with her brother, I was sad. Sad that I had never been able to experience that with my own sibling.

I tuned back into their conversation to hear how her brother Bellamy was suggesting that they give everyone else something to remember her by. The doors opened and Bellamy allowed his sister to be the first person down. Whilst everyone else secretly wished they could be the first person on earth, there was a collective agreement in that it should be Octavia. We had all been locked away for a period of our lives but Octavia had suffered her whole life. Never once had she known true freedom until now.

As she leaped onto the ground and threw her hands up in the air, she screamed out "We're back, bitches!"

This was the signal that granted everyone permission to jump out onto the fresh ground also. As a passed her older brother Bellamy, my mind began to speculate as to why he was here. It was obvious that he was over eighteen and had clearly stowed away onto the ship to take care of Octavia but I couldn't  shake the feeling that I knew him from somewhere else too. 

He turned his head made eye contact, realization passed through his eyes and he quickly turned and stalked off out of sight. 

I could hardly keep my thoughts on him though as I walked down the door and reached the grass. Everyone that moved passed me had the same look in their eyes, I'm sure I had it in mine too.

Happiness.

I'd never seen so much of it in one place before, but how long would it last?