Chapter 1

3 years ago

"You're my brave girl and you're going to keep being brave no matter what Adira. You're going to keep being brave because you're strong."

I tried to take in my mothers words but I was staring at her face. I was trying to memorize it like I had done with dads but it was hard. It was hard knowing this would be the last time I'd see her. I was only 14 and was already going to be an orphan. It wasn't like I had any friends either. My only friend Murphy was already locked up in the sky box.

I was all alone.

"Come on Kate, it's time." One of the guards started trying to pull her towards the air lock chamber. I tried to reach out to her but I was being pulled away myself.

"It's ok baby, it's going to be ok" She kept calling out to me.

As the doors closed, I could see her mouth moving. It was only as she was pulled outside that I realized she was saying 'I love you'.

She was gone, my mother had been taken away from me all because of one rule. It wasn't her fault. I felt my knees weaken as the guard restraining me suddenly changed to supporting me.

I didn't even try and resist when he started to pull me down the hall to my own home.

"What's up with her?" A passing guard asked as the one holding me dumped me down in the open doorway of my home.
"Her mothers just been floated, you know who she was. She was the one who got knocked up again." He explained.
"Surprised it wasn't sooner." The second guard laughed. "Wonder if she'll turn up the same way?" He nudged me with his foot.

Did they not think I was paying attention? It was then something inside me snapped. My mother had just died and they thought it was ok to be making jokes about her and the reason she died?

It only took one comment. 

One word about my mother and it broke me.