First Days On Wattpad

Like I've mentioned before, I've been on Wattpad for three years. It's not that long if you compare me to others who have been on here for way longer- but still, I've been here longer than a few months. 

And as a particular reader suggested, I'm going to tell you all about some of my life, my first few days, and the struggles about starting Wattpad.

It all started when I was three years old. (Literally). I still remember this incident, but not very well- at least enough to re-tell it the best I can. Anyway, I was watching my mother type on the computer. She was actually studying to become a reporter- but although it eventually didn't work out, her doing so is what got me hooked on writing.

See, for fun over the summer, she decided to enter this short story contest at Barnes & Noble (or as I like to call it, Bucky & Donna). As I watched the letters fly across the screen, I wondered what the actual flippity heck was happening.

I asked what she was doing. She she let me type some random letters out and explained that she was writing a story. She let me tell her my own story, and she typed it up as I said it- she then printed it off, and said I had created my own world.

I wish I still had that paper- but I was three. Things get eaten, ripped, lost, and tattered. 

Long story short, now I live with my aunt and uncle because my mother and father passed away. 

And for my twelfth birthday, my aunt and uncle got me my laptop- and another long story short, I am in love with writing. I don't know, I guess I like being able to create worlds and people. I mean, I could star on My Strange Addictions: The Girl Who Is Addicted To Writing.

Anyway, yet another long story short, I found Wattpad- my forever writing home until that sorrowful day comes where I have to give it up. 

But that's not anytime soon, I hope.

When I first joined I was twelve. I said I was thirteen, actually- that's probably why my profile say's I'm sixteen or seventeen when I'm actually almost fifteen. #rebellious #nostringsonme #smokeweedeveryday #getturnt 

Of course, I don't regret lying and now I'm at a legal age so I legit have no heartfelt desire to pay for my evil and corrupting lie. However, I will tell you this- this account I have now? It wasn't my first account.

Nopers. The account my first days took place on was an account I will tell no one because (A) I can't sign into it because I forgot the password and I need to delete a book I wrote and (B) that book is a choice novel with a sexy scene in it (very descriptive) and since I was twelve when I wrote it I cry of embarrassment when I read it again. 

No one will see that account and know it is me. It will ruin my very tiny little reputation I have (I mean, if I have one, tbh). 

Anyway, I should stop telling you my life story and get onto the topic of the struggles that come with joining Wattpad for the first time. 

Struggle 1: Followers.

Okay, everyone who starts out has 0 followers and automatically follows Wattpad's main account, right? Well, after about two days of being on Wattpad and if you are lucky you have like, one follower- you start to get a bit sad. 

You see all these other profiles with 13.6M followers and you have 4 followers (again, if you're lucky). I know that I wanted to be noticed for my writing, but I wasn't a very good writer then and I still don't think I'm all that great today. But with 1 follower, I didn't feel like I'd ever be popular or get noticed.

For that reason, I didn't write a story until I had more followers. I don't know why that boosted my spirits- I mean, now, I think I may have 500 followers.

I'm going to check, hold up a second.

*THIS BREAK IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY NATASHA ROMANOFF: THE HUMAN SPIDER WHO MAY OR MAY NOT EAT HER MATE- SHE'S THAT MYSTERIOUS AND BRUCE BANNER SHOULD SLEEP WITH ONE EYE OPEN AT NIGHT I'M JUST SAYING PROTECT THE GREEN SMOL* 

Okay, I'm back and over the course of three years I have earned about 650 followers! Only 350 more until 1K but I hadn't checked in a while and I am hype. 

Also, I didn't actually stop to go check until after I typed the 'I'm back' sentence. #rebellious #idowhatiwant #fonduetoyousteve

Struggle 2: Finding You.

Okay, obviously you are you, right? But a big part of social media is displaying what you want others to know about you- and Wattpad isn't any different. In a way, designing your profile and bio over time helps you sculpt who you want to be on Wattpad, and what you want to be known for. 

Of course, it's never easy. For a long while, I didn't tell anyone my real name. I said my name was Claire (which was really just my OC's name). And while I've always been a huge Marvel fan, I was hesitant to show my inner nerd. 

After a while, though, I started to warm up. I had a friend and even though he left Wattpad, he was the main reason I grew comfortable being who I am on Wattpad. Which is basically just myself. 

I told my real name to him first- and slowly, I started to put my real name on my real works. 

Now, I'm not saying you should go out saying your real name. I would never say my real last name just for my own protection. But there are a million fifteen year old girls named Elise- I'm pretty safe from online stalkers. 

But to any newbies out there- don't be afraid to be you, even through a pen name. I learned quickly that people like you better if you're being yourself rather than a person you just wish you could be. 

Struggle 3: Fitting In. 

See, on my older profile, I never seemed to hit it off with anyone. Not only did I gain like 9 followers throughout that entire year, I also seemed to ruin every possible conversation. In a way, I was still socially awkward in both real life and Wattpad.

I remember what made me quit that profile: being called dumb. See, since I was twelve, I had no idea that Tom Cruise and Ted Cruz were two different people. I wasn't all up and informed about the celeb world. As I stumbled upon a Ted Cruise fan account, my dumb little self decided I wanted to join. I mean, the presidential debates and all that hadn't even started and I just wanted to fit in. I very much wanted to find people I identified with- or more like, I wanted to find people who liked me.

So I got right down to business and left a message saying, "Cool account! I love Ted Cruz too:-)" 

I learned to never mess with a Cruise fan, because I was called dumb on the spot. The next day I made this account, and the rest is history. 

I mean, I wasn't always evil-converse-girl. I can't even remember my first username, but I remember some. I've been killerfrost0093, buckys5, cisco009, clairebarton0093, evil-yet-deadly, and finally who I am today. 

I guess in the end, Wattpad is fun after you get past the hard part. You have to get known, make friends, and learn how to fit in and communicate. But once you get past that, Wattpad can be like your second home. 

This chapter was suggested by @x_blueberry_xx whom suggested I do a story about when I first joined Wattpad- it's not very impressive, but I hope you liked it!

(Also, if any one you saw a bunch of random letters, please point them out because my cat walked across the keyboard while I was editing and I can't find where he messed it up. Stinking cat. Thanks and bye!)

Until next time, you shall not pass.

-Elise