Chapter Two: Ladies Night

"Oh what a night!" — Lil' Kim, Angie Martinez, Missy Elliot, Left Eye, & Da Brat

Freedom

YaNette stood outside of a bar, Vanity XL, on South Street trying to pull me inside but I was of high resistance. I know I said I was down to come out earlier but now all I wanted to do was go home, cuddle up with a blanket, and rest my tired eyes. "Girl come on you said you wanted to go have drinks this morning and now you just trying to be holed up in that house!" I nodded. "I surely am, look Yaya we can go out another night but right now I'm just tired. Don't let me hold you up though. Go have fun."

"Oh, you won't hold me up. Because your stubborn ass is coming inside. I'm tired of having to go out without my best friend, girl, at least let me treat you to one drink." I rolled my eyes as I let my reservations slowly leave me and I followed Yaya inside. It wasn't empty whatsoever but it wasn't overly crowded either, thankfully. Per YaNette's request, we danced and sang to the music for what felt like forever but I'd be lying to say I wasn't enjoying myself.

Mid-way through the day I did get kind of down in the dumps as I was reminded of what this day meant for me. My dad was convicted almost nine years ago today. At the end of the day the man I helped put in prison was my father... and that made me hate him with everything in me because what he did to me was traumatic on so many levels to say the least. There were things I went through because of him back then that parts of me were still healing from today. And remembering those things was more than tiresome. It was disturbing. But with the help of my best friend I was able to get back up and hit the ground running.

We took a break from cutting the rug and headed over to the bar to order ourselves a second round of drinks. I was nursing my little lemon drop when I felt a hand on my shoulder and heard it's owner say "Classic." I furrowed my brows as I turned around to see none other than Mr. Marcellus Gordon showcasing those beautiful teeth of his in a wide smile before saying, "Lemon drop, wise choice."

"Mr. Gordon aren't you on alcohol restrictions?" I asked as I regained my professionalism. "Nah that wasn't in the papers. How you doing Freedom? You look even better outside of the office." I was taken all the way back when YaNette grabbed my hand. "Girl who is this fine young brotha looking you up and down like this?" I rolled my eyes. "A criminal." I turned my attention back to Marcellus. "That's flattering Mr. Gordon but being as though I'm involved with the prosecution in your case we should keep a respectful distance."

"Loosen up lil' lady. Call me Marc we ain't in court." Yaya butted in. "Ain't nothin' lil about my homegirl. My sis big fine. But you fine as hell, shoot your shot brotha." I couldn't contain my sudden laughter if I wanted to as I playfully hit Yaya's arm. I tried to simply enjoy the rest of my night with my friend but somehow with the help of my girl Marcellus kept finding his way into our conversation. He was charming, yes. But I still kept my guard up and maintained my cool.

At the end of the night, Yaya and I stood outside of the bar chatting it up with a couple of familiar faces before heading our separate ways. When I got home I was beat, but pleasantly surprised to see a lovely bouquet of orange Poppies and Sunflowers sitting on the island in the kitchen. I smiled as I read the note and picked up the phone to make a call as I released my feet from the heels that held them captive, taking my time on my journey up the stairs.

"Hey baby girl I was wondering when you'd finally make it in. I was a little worried," I heard aunt Nic chime on the other side of the line. "Hey auntie. I went out with Yaya after work today. But the flowers are so beautiful, they made me smile. Thank you." I could hear my aunt chuckle. "Of course honey. I know how hard it can be to try and make it through the rough days of our lives but you seem to always push through. I just wanted to reach out to you. You know your brother called the other day?" I rolled my eyes. "Did he now? He's not in trouble is he?" "No, I don't think so. When are you two going to move past this and get on with your lives?"