Chapter One: 05078-C

"I learned to love myself unconditionally because I am a queen..." — India.Arie

Freedom

I rose from my slumber with joy in my heart as the tangerine sun shone through the wide panel windows of my bedroom. As I rose I thanked God for giving me another opportunity to make good use of the life he has given me, made my way to the bathroom to brush my teeth, and get myself together for what was to be a busy day in downtown Philadelphia. After sliding out of the shower I passed the flat iron through my short fluffy honey blonde hair a few times, I completed my makeup and shimmied into my blush silk robe before running downstairs to sit on my couch and drink my morning tea just as my phone rang and I recognized the specific ringtone right away. My best friend was giving me all the buzz early in the morning.

"Hey girl, what you doing up so early?" I looked at the clock on the wall that read 6:33 A.M and questioned YaNette, more commonly known as Yaya. This girl came into my life during my first year at community college. She was always a real thurl one, and there didn't seem to be too many of those left around.  Yaya was slim and brown skin, and we complimented each other perfectly. I was more of a hot head at times, while she seemed to remain perfectly calm in the most difficult situations. But even though I had the temper, Yaya was definitely the crazy one. "I knew you were up, so I was calling to make sure you were good girl. You know what today is right?"

I nodded in a sigh. "Of course, how could I forget? I'm good though. I just want to go out for drinks after work, and let the rest of the evening slip away." Yaya chuckled. "You're better than me, I would either be somewhere falling apart or getting drunk with a stranger. I still don't see how you're so determined to work every time this anniversary passes by when what happened literally meant the world to you."

"Oop. But because I don't need to be idle thinking about what happened all those years ago. He's in prison now and I moved on," I replied as I gathered my tea dish and sat it in the sink. My best friend was caring and that was something I could always count on her to be, no matter how she showed it. "Well, you need to move on and get a man because I know you lonely up in that big house all by yourself." I kissed my teeth. "I'm perfectly fine alone, thanks. I don't need a man, I made it this far without one." We both laughed as I placed my phone on speaker so I could get dressed. "Just barely chile. You just barely makin' it." I paused wishing Yaya could see the stale face I had plastered on. With that I decided it was time to end this conversation so I could hit the road. "Well, I'll see you at the office boo, and be on time please girl."

After saying goodbye I spritzed some Noir Tease on my collar before slipping on my watch, my rings, grabbing the rest of my belongings and exiting my home via the garage. I ducked into my all white Bentley with red velvet colored seats on the inside and sped away from home. I stopped by the local donut shop to pick up a couple dozen for the office like I did once a week before weaving my way into the congested streets of center city. I absolutely hated driving down here every day. Nothing in life could ever touch the way it irritates me how people drive in 8 A.M. rush hour traffic. But the horrible traffic definitely outweighed riding SEPTA.

I parked in the garage that was designated to our building and proceeded to make my way down the street while balancing the two donut boxes, my purse, and my satchel. "Building 1515? I can help you carry that if you like." I turned around slowly to see a rather familiar looking tall muscular young man with perfectly clear caramel skin and curly hair approach me. "I'm sorry have we met?" I asked.

"Not formally but I've seen you from time to time in that building. I could give you a hand... I don't bite," He chuckled and took the boxes out of my hands, "Thank you, where are my manners? My name's Freedom. Freedom Belle." He flashed a gorgeous smile. "That's unique. I like that. Marcellus Gordon."